Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Ishimoto, Ryu" <ry...@midokura.com> on 2012/07/26 07:52:28 UTC

Re: making VM startup more fine-grained

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <
Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:

> Also note that in order to support hotplug and hot-detach of nics, we need
> commands like CreateNic and AttachNic.

This is a great point.  I feel that the right approach is to consider NIC
to exist only within the VM lifetime, and thus the API that the cloud
orchestrator needs to expose are:

- PlugNIC
- UnplugNIC

Where the hypervisor resources must implement these methods in the
hypervisor-specific way.  Depending on the hypervisor, this may include
creating a VIF, hot-attaching it to the VM, and plugging it into the
appropriate network.  These are only necessary when CloudStack needs to
support hot-attach and hot-detaching VIFs.

On a related but a different topic, during the VM launch, VIF plugging has
to also occur, and it has to be designed in a way that both Xen and
Libvirt/KVM can agree on.  If you look at the way libvirt generates the VM
definition, which is an XML configuration, it seems to make sense that you
perform the plug operation in the same place as the XML generation.  This
means that it's ok to keep the 'startVM' at the orchestration level and let
the individual hypervisor resources implement their own VIF attachment
logic.  This VIF attachment logic should be done in a driver model in which
vendors can supply their own logic, and I think this is essential for SDN
integration.  Each hypervisor should have its own VIF driver interface, so
there should be LibvirtVifDriver and XenVifDriver interfaces.  They both
define 'plug' and 'unplug' methods but perhaps differ in signatures.  As
one example, an implementation of an  OpenvswitchLibvirtVIF driver might
use 'ethernet' mode instead of 'bridge' mode, create a tap interface on the
host, create a port on the bridge, and attach the VIF into it before
launching the VM.  For Xen, you'd only need to make xapi calls but this VIF
driver gives the vendors a place to customize parameters sent to VIF.create
call, such as setting 'other-configs' values.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I've only recently started
looking at the CloudStack architecture so please correct me if I said
something off-base.

Cheers!
Ryu

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

On 8/7/12 1:59 AM, "Tomoe Sugihara" <to...@midokura.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>
>wrote:
>> On 07/08/12 12:11 PM, "Tomoe Sugihara" <to...@midokura.com> wrote:

>>>Hi Alex,
>>>
>>>Thanks for your comments.
>>>
>>>Actually I'm looking at here called by the createVif method:
>>>
>>>https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=blo
>>>b;
>>>f=plugins/hypervisors/xen/src/com/cloud/hypervisor/xen/resource/CitrixRe
>>>so
>>>urceBase.java;h=19cb79618197c042606185fbe4300acf477c4b31;hb=HEAD#l719
>>>
>>>And it does look for broadcast cast type.
>>>Does that mean this code is obsolete and should be updated?
>>>
>>>Tomoe
>>>

>> Actually, this is in use function. Creating a Xen virtual network is
>> rolled into getNetwork() and being setup based on the isolation/SDN
>> controller as identified by BroadcastDomainType.
>>
>> IMO, with multiple isolation mechanism/SDN controller integrating, it
>>make
>> sense to push out setup/destroy of hypervisor network object for the
>>guest
>> networks from hypervisor server resource into drivers as-well.
>
>Thanks Murali for your opinion.
>
>As I looked more in the code, managing host networks parts seems to be
>closely coupled to CitrixResourceBase and scattered inside the class.
>
>How about doing vif driver (NicTO handler ) first as a first
>incremental step and then clean up the
>networking parts to cleanly separate out from the resource?
>
>Thanks,
>Tomoe

I think this is a good first step.

Re: making VM startup more fine-grained

Posted by Tomoe Sugihara <to...@midokura.com>.

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Tomoe Sugihara <to...@midokura.com>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Tomoe Sugihara <to...@midokura.com>.
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Tomoe Sugihara <to...@midokura.com> wrote:
> [...]
> vm, NicTO nic) throws XmlRpcException, XenAPIException {
>

> to vif driver's responsibility(same idea as handler in the wiki) and
> make the default implementation have
> more generic other-config values like "cs-iface-id" and  "cs-vm-id".
> That way, vendors can put whatever information they want to
> other-config and/or even make other xen-api calls in their vif
> drivers.

I have looked at the code more in detail and found a bit tricky thing.

Inside the createVif() method, it calls getNetwork(conn, nic) to
set vifr.network record. And inside getNetwork(), it differentiates by
BroadcastDomainType.

Now I'm wondering if the method getNetwork() to be inside
to-be-created default vif driver's  implementation, or out side of the
vif driver. So, I'd like to ask for comments or suggestions from the

Thanks in Advance,
Tomoe

Posted by Tomoe Sugihara <to...@midokura.com>.

Posted by Tomoe Sugihara <to...@midokura.com>.
<Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:

> On 7/25/12 10:52 PM, "Ishimoto, Ryu" <ry...@midokura.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <
>>Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Also note that in order to support hotplug and hot-detach of nics, we
>>>need
>>> commands like CreateNic and AttachNic.
>>>

>>This is a great point.  I feel that the right approach is to consider NIC
>>to exist only within the VM lifetime, and thus the API that the cloud
>>orchestrator needs to expose are:
>>
>>- PlugNIC
>>- UnplugNIC
>
> If you consider the Elastic Network Interface feature in AWS, the NIC
> could exist independent of a VM.
> There are several interesting applications that this enables.
>

>>Where the hypervisor resources must implement these methods in the
>>hypervisor-specific way.  Depending on the hypervisor, this may include
>>creating a VIF, hot-attaching it to the VM, and plugging it into the
>>appropriate network.  These are only necessary when CloudStack needs to
>>support hot-attach and hot-detaching VIFs.
>
> +1. There are some issues to consider like if it is possible to have a VM
> without a NIC and how to issue an IP after hot-attach.
>

>>On a related but a different topic, during the VM launch, VIF plugging has
>>to also occur, and it has to be designed in a way that both Xen and
>>Libvirt/KVM can agree on.
>
> And vSphere and OVM...
>
> [snip]
>>This VIF attachment logic should be done in a driver model in which
>>vendors can supply their own logic, and I think this is essential for SDN
>>integration.  Each hypervisor should have its own VIF driver interface, so
>>there should be LibvirtVifDriver and XenVifDriver interfaces.  They both
>>define 'plug' and 'unplug' methods but perhaps differ in signatures.
>
> This seems similar to what Murali proposed during the NVP integration
> effort.
> The NVP component wished to add specific meta-data to the hypervisor db.
>
>>For Xen, you'd only need to make xapi calls but this VIF
>>driver gives the vendors a place to customize parameters sent to
>>VIF.create
>>call, such as setting 'other-configs' values.
>
> Yes, absolutely.
>

>>Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I've only recently started
>>looking at the CloudStack architecture so please correct me if I said
>>something off-base.
>
> I would welcome a patch with this kind of functionality.

Hi Chiradeep,

I just posted a review request for vif plugin PoC implementation:
https://reviews.apache.org/r/6285/

If you could take a look and give me some comments, that'd be great.

Thanks,
Tomoe

Posted by Tomoe Sugihara <to...@midokura.com>.
<Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:

> On 7/25/12 10:52 PM, "Ishimoto, Ryu" <ry...@midokura.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <
>>Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Also note that in order to support hotplug and hot-detach of nics, we
>>>need
>>> commands like CreateNic and AttachNic.
>>>

>>This is a great point.  I feel that the right approach is to consider NIC
>>to exist only within the VM lifetime, and thus the API that the cloud
>>orchestrator needs to expose are:
>>
>>- PlugNIC
>>- UnplugNIC
>
> If you consider the Elastic Network Interface feature in AWS, the NIC
> could exist independent of a VM.
> There are several interesting applications that this enables.
>

>>Where the hypervisor resources must implement these methods in the
>>hypervisor-specific way.  Depending on the hypervisor, this may include
>>creating a VIF, hot-attaching it to the VM, and plugging it into the
>>appropriate network.  These are only necessary when CloudStack needs to
>>support hot-attach and hot-detaching VIFs.
>
> +1. There are some issues to consider like if it is possible to have a VM
> without a NIC and how to issue an IP after hot-attach.
>

>>On a related but a different topic, during the VM launch, VIF plugging has
>>to also occur, and it has to be designed in a way that both Xen and
>>Libvirt/KVM can agree on.
>
> And vSphere and OVM...
>
> [snip]
>>This VIF attachment logic should be done in a driver model in which
>>vendors can supply their own logic, and I think this is essential for SDN
>>integration.  Each hypervisor should have its own VIF driver interface, so
>>there should be LibvirtVifDriver and XenVifDriver interfaces.  They both
>>define 'plug' and 'unplug' methods but perhaps differ in signatures.
>
> This seems similar to what Murali proposed during the NVP integration
> effort.
> The NVP component wished to add specific meta-data to the hypervisor db.
>
>>For Xen, you'd only need to make xapi calls but this VIF
>>driver gives the vendors a place to customize parameters sent to
>>VIF.create
>>call, such as setting 'other-configs' values.
>
> Yes, absolutely.
>

>>Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I've only recently started
>>looking at the CloudStack architecture so please correct me if I said
>>something off-base.
>
> I would welcome a patch with this kind of functionality.

I'll submit patches for this shortly.
Thanks for the comments.

Tomoe

Re: making VM startup more fine-grained

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

On 7/25/12 10:52 PM, "Ishimoto, Ryu" <ry...@midokura.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <
>Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:
>

>> Also note that in order to support hotplug and hot-detach of nics, we
>>need
>> commands like CreateNic and AttachNic.
>>

>This is a great point.  I feel that the right approach is to consider NIC
>to exist only within the VM lifetime, and thus the API that the cloud
>orchestrator needs to expose are:
>
>- PlugNIC
>- UnplugNIC

If you consider the Elastic Network Interface feature in AWS, the NIC
could exist independent of a VM.
There are several interesting applications that this enables.

>Where the hypervisor resources must implement these methods in the
>hypervisor-specific way.  Depending on the hypervisor, this may include
>creating a VIF, hot-attaching it to the VM, and plugging it into the
>appropriate network.  These are only necessary when CloudStack needs to
>support hot-attach and hot-detaching VIFs.

+1. There are some issues to consider like if it is possible to have a VM
without a NIC and how to issue an IP after hot-attach.

>On a related but a different topic, during the VM launch, VIF plugging has
>to also occur, and it has to be designed in a way that both Xen and
>Libvirt/KVM can agree on.

And vSphere and OVM...

[snip]