Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jessica Lin <jl...@akonix.com> on 2007/12/07 23:40:28 UTC

chainsaw view remote log file

Hello,

My web page contains a list of log files stored on  the remote server.
When the user selects one of the file, the Chainsaw will be launched
through web start link, the selected log file will be display inside the
tab. My questions are:

1.       How to automatically pass in the selected log file? Here is my
configuration file:

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"

debug="true">

<plugin name="fileReceiver"

class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LogFilePatternReceiver">

<param name="fileURL" value="??? file path and name on the server ???"/>

<param name="timestampFormat" value="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>

<param name="logFormat" value="[THREAD] TIMESTAMP LEVEL LOGGER -
MESSAGE"/>

<param name="name" value="testLog"/>

<param name="tailing" value="true"/>

</plugin>

<root>

<level value="debug"/>

</root>

</log4j:configuration>

2.       How can I use one instance of Chainsaw to display multiple log
file tabs?

Thanks,

Jessica

RE: chainsaw view remote log file

Posted by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>.
1. You can't change the Chainsaw receiver configuration from outside the
app (it would be possible to support the log4j.configuration system
property, which would help if you were running from a command line or
running Chainsaw via web start from a command line with javaws.exe)

2. Should happen automatically - LogFilePatternReceiver sets the
'hostname' property of each event it processes to 'file' and sets the
'application' property of each event it processes to the file's name, so
you should get one tab per file, called 'file-filename1', etc.

Scott Deboy
Principal Engineer
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950