Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Mark Swanson <ma...@ScheduleWorld.com> on 2008/04/07 08:25:49 UTC

How do I compile for Java 1.5?

Hello,

I'm using the latest stable version of ADS: 1.0 :-)
and for some reason I can't compile my custom schema because the
compiler is strangely defaulting to Java 1.3:
Does anyone know how I would change the pom.xml for a better <source>
and <target> ?
I tried a few things but they all failed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

[INFO] Compilation failure

/a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[60,17]
generics are not supported in -source 1.3
(use -source 5 or higher to enable generics)
        ArrayList<String> names = new ArrayList<String>();

/a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSchema.java:[41,17]
generics are not supported in -source 1.3
(use -source 5 or higher to enable generics)
        ArrayList<String> list = new ArrayList<String>();

/a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwObjectClassProducer.java:[59,17]
generics are not supported in -source 1.3
(use -source 5 or higher to enable generics)
        ArrayList<String> array = new ArrayList<String>();

[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.BuildFailureException: Compilation failure
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:560)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:480)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:459)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:278)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:333)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:126)
        at
        at
        at
        at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.CompilationFailureException:
Compilation failure
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.AbstractCompilerMojo.execute(AbstractCompilerMojo.java:516)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.CompilerMojo.execute(CompilerMojo.java:114)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:447)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        ... 16 more

Re: How do I compile for Java 1.5?

Posted by Mark Swanson <ma...@ScheduleWorld.com>.
Mark Swanson wrote:
> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> 1.0 is locked in at JDK 1.4.  Is this offending AttributeTypeProducer
>> one that you provide as an override to the schema plugin or is it
>> generated?
> Generated.
> Fwiw I would happily change whatever is required to compile at Java 1.5.
>> If generated then we have a big problem.  It means someone on our
>> team decided to use generics in the 1.0 codebase.  This is something
>> we need to fix.  Until then the 1.0 trunk will be broken.
>>
> Fwiw I'm not using trunk that I'm aware of.
> I just did a mvn -e install like usual. I haven't had to do this in a
> while so I can't be sure when it stopped working.
>
> I'd be grateful if you could point me to the code that hard codes
> javac to 1.4 so I can fix this now.
> Fwiw I think it's fine to mandate Java 1.5 as the minimum. (speaking
> for me only of course)
>
> Cheers.

FYI there are bigger problems than Java 1.5.
Maven grabs apacheds 1.0.0 jars. I double checked.

The generated schema files will not compile at all for loads of reasons.
I've manually fixed the Java 1.5 dependencies and tried to compile. I
get the following errors. Maybe the pom.xml file I've been using for
ages is no longer valid. I've pasted it at the end in case a simple fix
comes to mind...

Atm it would seem that the only way someone can provide their own
schemas to the ADS stable build is to find a schema file that compiled
correctly at one point, reverse engineer the java files and hand modify
them/compile them / package them. If there is an easier way please let
me know. I really need to add an attribute to my schema.

Cheers.

[INFO] Compilation failure

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNameFormProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNameFormProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNameFormProducer.java:[38,40]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwNameFormProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNameFormProducer.java:[54,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwNameFormProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNameFormProducer.java:[54,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwNameFormProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[27,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[29,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[40,45]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwAttributeTypeProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[57,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwAttributeTypeProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[57,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwAttributeTypeProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleProducer.java:[38,44]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwMatchingRuleProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleProducer.java:[54,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwMatchingRuleProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleProducer.java:[54,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwMatchingRuleProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxProducer.java:[38,38]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwSyntaxProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxProducer.java:[54,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwSyntaxProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxProducer.java:[54,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwSyntaxProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxCheckerProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxCheckerProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxCheckerProducer.java:[38,45]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwSyntaxCheckerProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxCheckerProducer.java:[54,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwSyntaxCheckerProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSyntaxCheckerProducer.java:[54,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwSyntaxCheckerProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleUseProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleUseProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleUseProducer.java:[38,47]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwMatchingRuleUseProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleUseProducer.java:[54,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwMatchingRuleUseProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwMatchingRuleUseProducer.java:[54,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwMatchingRuleUseProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSchema.java:[25,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwSchema.java:[35,30]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapSchema
public class SwSchema extends AbstractBootstrapSchema

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitContentRuleProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitContentRuleProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitContentRuleProducer.java:[38,46]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwDitContentRuleProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitContentRuleProducer.java:[54,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwDitContentRuleProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitContentRuleProducer.java:[54,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwDitContentRuleProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitStructureRuleProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitStructureRuleProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitStructureRuleProducer.java:[38,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwDitStructureRuleProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitStructureRuleProducer.java:[54,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwDitStructureRuleProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwDitStructureRuleProducer.java:[54,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwDitStructureRuleProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNormalizerProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNormalizerProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNormalizerProducer.java:[38,42]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwNormalizerProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNormalizerProducer.java:[54,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwNormalizerProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNormalizerProducer.java:[54,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwNormalizerProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwObjectClassProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwObjectClassProducer.java:[28,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwObjectClassProducer.java:[39,43]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwObjectClassProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwObjectClassProducer.java:[56,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwObjectClassProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwObjectClassProducer.java:[56,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwObjectClassProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwComparatorProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwComparatorProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwComparatorProducer.java:[38,42]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwComparatorProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwComparatorProducer.java:[54,25]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class Registries
location: class com.wss.SwComparatorProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwComparatorProducer.java:[54,48]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class ProducerCallback
location: class com.wss.SwComparatorProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNameFormProducer.java:[42,15]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable ProducerTypeEnum
location: class com.wss.SwNameFormProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[45,15]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable ProducerTypeEnum
location: class com.wss.SwAttributeTypeProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[61,8]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : class BootstrapAttributeType
location: class com.wss.SwAttributeTypeProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[80,47]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable EMPTY
location: class com.wss.SwAttributeTypeProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[100,47]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable EMPTY
location: class com.wss.SwAttributeTypeProducer

a/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwAttributeTypeProducer.java:[120,47]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable EMPTY
location: class com.wss.SwAttributeTypeProducer

  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>com.wss</groupId>
  <artifactId>scheduleworld-schema</artifactId>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <name>Schema Project</name>
  <url>http://directory.apache.org/</url>

  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.directory.server</groupId>
      <artifactId>apacheds-core</artifactId>
      <version>1.0.0</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.directory.server</groupId>
      <artifactId>apacheds-server-unit</artifactId>
      <version>1.0.0</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>3.8.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
      <artifactId>nlog4j</artifactId>
      <version>1.2.25</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>

  <build>
    <!-- Uncomment to override default jar naming convention
    <finalName>car-schema.jar</finalName>
    -->

    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <groupId>org.apache.directory.server</groupId>
        <artifactId>apacheds-core-plugin</artifactId>
        <configuration>
          <schemaSourcesDir>src/main/schema</schemaSourcesDir>
          <schemas>
            <schema>
              <name>sw</name>
              <pkg>com.wss</pkg>
              <dependencies>
                <dependency>system</dependency>
                <dependency>core</dependency>
              </dependencies>
            </schema>
          </schemas>
        </configuration>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <goals>
              <goal>generate</goal>
            </goals>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
</project>

Re: How do I compile for Java 1.5?

Posted by Mark Swanson <ma...@ScheduleWorld.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

1.0 is locked in at JDK 1.4.  Is this offending AttributeTypeProducer one
that you provide as an override to the schema plugin or is it generated?

If generated then we have a big problem.  It means someone on our team
decided to use generics in the 1.0 codebase.  This is something we need to
fix.  Until then the 1.0 trunk will be broken.

Alex

Posted by not <ei...@milinovsky.at>.

Emmanuel Lecharny-3 wrote:

> PeteK wrote:
>> No, I abandoned the effort on 1.0.2 and switched to DS 1.5.
>>

> DS 1.5 is far far far more stable than 1.0.2. And faster too. In fact,
> it's nearly 2 years we are dedicated to 1.5, expecting to release a 2.0
> by the end of this year.

> cordialement, regards,
> Emmanuel Lécharny
> www.iktek.com
> directory.apache.org

Thanx for the reply! You convinced me to switch to DS 1.5, also because this
is (not yet) a production system ...

Regards,
   Martin

Re: How do I compile for Java 1.5?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by PeteK <pe...@prudential.com>.

Posted by not <ei...@milinovsky.at>.
Hallo,

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/tags/1.0.2/schema-archetype/

Posted by PeteK <pe...@prudential.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Mark Swanson wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>
>> Where are the sources coming from ? Can you give us the command you
>> used to get the sources on your computer ?
>>
> There are no sources for this. I'm simply compiling a schema as per
> the documentation I found on the ads website (maybe 2 years ago?).
> The pom.xml I pasted into a previous email was all that was ever
> necessary. Just the pom.xml and my schema.
>
>>> *** Strange, I guess the latest 1.0.x pom is downloaded? I didn't
>>> notice 1.0.5 was used...
>>> Downloading:
>>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/directory/build/1.0.5/build-1.0.5.pom
>>>

>> This is totally different. We are using 4 different sub-projects :
>> - apacheds
>> - daemon
>> - installers
>> - project
>> - shared
> I think the disconnect here is that you think I'm building ADS and I'm
> not, I'm just trying to compile a schema.
>> Each project has its own version. As you may have noticed, shared is
>> version 0.9.5.3. The 1.0.5 version applies to the 'project' version
>>> It's just that the API seems to have changed too. F.e. a previous
>>> schema compile that worked fine no longer works and produces compile
>>> errors that aren't 1.5 related, but class files that are completely
>>> missing:
>> It seems that the maven build you are using is not the good one...
> I'm not trying to build ADS :-)
>>
>>> Is there an easy way perhaps for me to force maven to use an older
>>> 1.0 instead of 1.0.5 so I can build the schema?
>> No, because this is unrelated.
>>
>> Let me try to build ADS 1.0 and come back to you.
>>

> I truly thank you for your help, but I'm not having trouble building
> ADS. I don't actually do that - I just use the shipped jars. Quite
> likely I'm one of the few folks actually building a custom schema in
> the stable release branch of ADS...
>
> I realize it's painful to drop working on the cool new beta and
> support the stable release. If it's too much work don't worry about it
> and just ignore this request.
>
> FYI - the amount of work required to upgrade from 1.0 to the next
> version seems a bit intimidating. I wish you folks had released stable
> versions more often.
>
> Cheers.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: How do I compile for Java 1.5?

Posted by Mark Swanson <ma...@ScheduleWorld.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Swanson <ma...@ScheduleWorld.com>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Mark Swanson wrote:
>> Hello,
> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using the latest stable version of ADS: 1.0 :-)
> Which version exactly ?
I note from the maven logs:
Downloading:
http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/directory/server/apacheds-core-shared/1.0.0/apacheds-core-shared-1.0.0.jar

Downloading: http://m2.safehaus.org/jdbm/jdbm/1.0/jdbm-1.0.jar
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/directory/shared/shared-asn1/0.9.5.3/shared-asn1-0.9.5.3.jar
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/directory/server/apacheds-core/1.0.0/apacheds-core-1.0.0.jar
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/mina/mina-filter-ssl/1.0.0/mina-filter-ssl-1.0.0.pom
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/directory/server/apacheds-core/1.0.0/apacheds-core-1.0.0.pom
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/directory/server/build/1.0.0/build-1.0.0.pom

*** Strange, I guess the latest 1.0.x pom is downloaded? I didn't notice
1.0.5 was used...
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/directory/build/1.0.5/build-1.0.5.pom

> Where does it come from (did you get it from trunk or from a branch ?)
>> and for some reason I can't compile my custom schema because the
>> compiler is strangely defaulting to Java 1.3:
>
> What you have here is some errors because the generated schema
> contains generics, which are not allowed in java 1.4. ADS 1.0.x is not
> intended to be compiled using java 1.5, but of course it can be
> compiled with a 1.5 compiler. The thing is that we have forced the 1.4
> version in order to avoid committing some code which requests Java 5...

It's just that the API seems to have changed too. F.e. a previous schema
compile that worked fine no longer works and produces compile errors
that aren't 1.5 related, but class files that are completely missing:

/mnt/md3/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNameFormProducer.java:[24,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries does not exist

/mnt/md3/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNameFormProducer.java:[26,0]
package org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap does not exist

/mnt/md3/mswanson/src/calendar/apacheds/scheduleworld-schema/target/generated-sources/com/wss/SwNameFormProducer.java:[38,40]
cannot find symbol
symbol: class AbstractBootstrapProducer
public class SwNameFormProducer extends AbstractBootstrapProducer

Is there an easy way perhaps for me to force maven to use an older 1.0
instead of 1.0.5 so I can build the schema?

Thanks!

Re: How do I compile for Java 1.5?

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Mark Swanson wrote: