Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2009/08/11 04:12:32 UTC

Releasing Thrift 0.1.0

Looking over the THRIFT jira and the mailing list archives,
it appears a 0.1.0 release of Thrift is blocking on a
software grant from Facebook.  I've looked for a copy of
the grant in the ASF records and cannot find it.

In case we haven't figured it out yet, thrift needs to
cut a release ASAP to start bringing its distribution
management in line with ASF best practices (and policy).
I've offered to help with that as much as I can, because
I would like to see Thrift graduate from the Incubator
sooner, rather than later, and demonstration of proper
release management is an absolute exit requirement for
the IPMC.

But first thing's first, let's get the Facebook grant
squared away.  Who is willing to help with this?

Re: Releasing Thrift 0.1.0

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Ok I found the CCLA from Facebook for Thrift.  So what appears
to be missing is a corresponding grant from imeem.com.  Has
that been pursued?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Releasing Thrift 0.1.0

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Reviving this thread to try to figure out what the contributions are of the
various people below, so we can call them out in a README in the case that
we're missing grants:

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> The outstanding missing grants are for the contributions of the following
> people:
>
> imeem.com:

*5a64a2a8043dcf43f21ed1b397756fdd8afefbdf* C# Bindings

> Tod Berman

*07aea37cc2429f0b01abb8e4d682be7363f1f457* - patch that allows build on
MinGW - edits to all generator code

Craig Kimerer

not mentioned in git log

> Will Palmeri

 d14963d87927e7a2c3d911015971d7453a2f68c2 - patch to csharp build

> misc:
> Patrick Collison

 a653572426ae6aa7436e3f0777f48ba5e9b7ce92 - thrift.vim typo fix
76d03908b96b983e21ace282a79ec9935981bf0d - libtoolize and configure tweaks
*6a650d6e3d6dc099f3cebace5471c5ce257eed34* - smalltalk support
1dac4793e514a774e6738411b43d56ff4286cf9b - ruby bug fix

Simon Forman

not mentioned

> Kevin Ko

not mentioned

> Andrew Lutomirski

 *402d84c6b8e09ff3f44b8aaf5caad0d65516b0b1* - "required"/"optional",
operator ==  (C++), [adds a test]

Ben Matasar

0078a0eb49933434055842196dab8409494a3dd1 - smalltalk prefix support

> William Morgan

4ce011259b7c2955df5e1ea7e9fa6b173115580c - better ruby constructors
c5900cb698b8791f2d6328f0bee5336770f31613 - thrift exceptions use better ruby
syntax
e1530a191f5caa6f6dacee80311b8cf2a2980582 - Ruby fix for TSimpleServer
e162112c59fdc2228a2f3ea23c75809cadc6464b - remove debugging message (ruby)
efa07cb410a6c127fdd9ce25a8bf3d81013fb594 - better ruby exception handling
a8a03c5635a00647af20b4d3b86b9269d9d52091 - TThreaded/TThreadPool server in
ruby

Of the commits above, I've bolded any that actually added new files. The
rest simply edited existing files, so I think it's very clear that the
contributions were intended to go under the preexisting license. I spot
checked the ruby code in particular and the edited files already had the
Thrift Software License header at the top, so there was no question as to
the license when those contributions where made.

The C# bindings all include the Apache license now as of THRIFT-158 (patch
provided by one of the imeem guys, so that should be kosher)
402d84c6b8e09ff3f44b8aaf5caad0d65516b0b1 adds a new test which did not
include a license header of any sort.
6a650d6e3d6dc099f3cebace5471c5ce257eed34 does indicate Thrift Software
License in the header of the new t_st_generator, though not the new
smalltalk code.

So, Apache people: is there anything we need to explicitly call out? Given
we have a CLA from Facebook, can we simply replace all of the Facebook
license headers with Apache license headers and be done with it?

-Todd

Re: Releasing Thrift 0.1.0

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Releasing Thrift 0.1.0