Posted to dev@hawq.apache.org by Shubham Sharma <ss...@pivotal.io> on 2017/09/04 00:45:50 UTC

HAWQ-421 - Proposal to remove references of GPHOME and greenplum_path.sh

Hi,

HAWQ-421 describes the confusion created by GPHOME and greenplum_path.sh,
which also seems out of place with the project name HAWQ. This issue is
marked as backlog for a while and I wanted to take the opportunity to
replace these references with something related to our project.

Since these changes almost touch the entire project and the naming changes
will stick going on forward, wanted to bounce off some ideas with the
community, let me know which naming convention sounds better.

1 - Replace GPHOME with

a - HAWQHOME
b - HAWQ_HOME
c - HAWQ_CONF_DIR

2 - Replace greenplum_path.sh with

a - hawq_env.sh
b - hawq_path.sh

I prefer 1-b and 2-a

Please feel free to add other options. Appreciate your inputs.

Shubham

Re: HAWQ-421 - Proposal to remove references of GPHOME and greenplum_path.sh

Posted by Shubham Sharma <ss...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Radar,

I tried to change these references over the weekend and was able to
successfully compile and install hawq. But as you mentioned this change has
a big impact and needs more thorough testing and is suitable for a major
release version.

Regarding development CI and test cases, I made changes to the dev pipeline
as well to try out this change. The code changed passed the CI pipeline
except some pxf automation test. I could not test those changes as I don't
have access to that repo.

Let's continue this discussion around the major release and I hope this
change makes it way to the next major release.

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 3:07 AM, Radar Lei <rl...@pivotal.io> wrote:

> Hi Shubham,
>
> I would recommend we hold on this change until we have fully understanding
> of the affects and the benefit we can get.
>
> I can think about below items:
>
>    - Require a lot of changes to development CI and Test cases.
>    - Require changes of user defined scripts and cases.
>    - Might affect the user who are using GPDB clients to access HAWQ.
>    - Might affect other projects which are related to HAWQ, e.g. Madlib.
>    - It's better to have such changes at a major release, like 3.0.
>
> So this is my opinion, welcome other comments. Thanks.
>

> Regards,
> Radar
>
> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Shubham Sharma <ss...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > HAWQ-421 describes the confusion created by GPHOME and greenplum_path.sh,
> > which also seems out of place with the project name HAWQ. This issue is
> > marked as backlog for a while and I wanted to take the opportunity to
> > replace these references with something related to our project.
> >
> > Since these changes almost touch the entire project and the naming
> changes
> > will stick going on forward, wanted to bounce off some ideas with the
> > community, let me know which naming convention sounds better.
> >
> > 1 - Replace GPHOME with
> >
> > a - HAWQHOME
> > b - HAWQ_HOME
> > c - HAWQ_CONF_DIR
> >
> > 2 - Replace greenplum_path.sh with
> >
> > a - hawq_env.sh
> > b - hawq_path.sh
> >
> > I prefer 1-b and 2-a
> >
> > Please feel free to add other options. Appreciate your inputs.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Shubham

Shubham Sharma
Staff Customer Engineer
Pivotal Global Support Services
ssharma@pivotal.io
Direct Tel: +1(510)-304-8201
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT
Out of Office Hours Contact +1 877-477-2269

Re: HAWQ-421 - Proposal to remove references of GPHOME and greenplum_path.sh

Posted by Radar Lei <rl...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Shubham,