Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Karen Vuong <ka...@citrix.com> on 2013/04/20 22:00:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Hi all,

The website for the CloudStack Collaboration Conference North America 2013 went up yesterday. Registration will open on Monday, April 22nd at 9:00am PT.

You may take a look at the website here: http://cloudstackcollab.org/

I've requested for the web team to change the logo to the current Apache CloudStack logo and that will be done before Monday 9:00am.

I would welcome any feedback or suggestions . Thanks!

Best regards,

Karen

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Oh, and, perhaps we want to add a note to the site mentioning that it is a
community run event? Giving a bit of transparency into the organisation,
etc, like you have done in this email. Not sure though. Might be useful to
some folks.

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Yeah, as I mention, sounds totally fine to me. :)

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Mark,

Sorry to give you a fright!

Karen's email to Trademarks was exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for!
So thanks for that Karen!

I checked my emails for the thread to ConCom you mention, and it's not
there. Most peculiar! I very rarely deleted email. Anyway, I checked the
Foundation's records, and I found a copy. Looks good to me. The only thing
I would have requested is a CC to private@cloudstack.apache.org, so that we
are aware of what's going on.

Those were the only two things I was looking for. And we had one (that was
hidden from me for strange computer reasons!) and we have the other now. So
all is great. :-)

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.
Noah,

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Yep, specifically:
>
> "In addition to the two public lists, there is also the concom list. This
> is open to all Apache committers, and is privately archived."
>
> Your sub was probably not approved because Ross missed it in his queue. I
> actually recently volunteered to be an extra mod for that list, along with
> two other people, after Ross realised he was the only one. Heh!

OK, just tried to resub.
That explains a lot. Ross is a busy guy. Thanks for the explanation!

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Yep, specifically:

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Most of the Apache policy stuff is actually quite light weight. But I
certainly remember it feeling heavy and bureaucratic when I was getting
used to it. I think you can broadly (and I've not thought about this for
more than a few seconds, so judge accordingly) split policy into two
categories. Things that are designed to allow groups of people to get stuff
done, and thing which are designed to make sure that the right groups of
people are notified of what is going on. And actually, the first depends on
the last.

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting an ACK. As Ross points out,
it's a good enough sign that nobody cares enough to object. Which is, of
course, what we call lazy consensus. Which is a really great social hack,
if you ask me. Voice your plans, and if nobody speaks up within a certain
amount of time, then you're free to just go ahead. (The other part of the
"getting stuff done" category revolves around how consensus is built, etc,
etc. No need to go into that now.)

The second category (making sure the appropriate people are made aware of
things) is crucial for the first one to work. It's fine for us to operate
on the principal that you say you're gonna do something and if nobody
objects you do it, but only if you say you're gonna do that thing to
the appropriate people _so they have a chance to_. If that makes sense?

Another way of framing my comments on this thread would be: I have no
problem with the conference. In fact, I think it looks great! A
really positive thing for the community and the project! But I am trying to
make sure that the appropriate people see what we're planning to do so that
we can do the whole "nobody raised any objections so we can go ahead with
this" thing.

Like I said, I actually think this is quite a lightweight system, once it's
internalised. I actually can't imagine anything more lightweight than just
having to announce your actions before you do them in case anybody wants to
object. ;)

I agree that policy is often... Well, it seems to vary depending on who you
speak to. We could document it better. And that's actually something that I
think a few people have been talking about recently. But you're right. In
the absence of data, do what you think is right. Be bold! And much better
to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission.

(Though, I would note that I don't think announcing your intention is a
form of permission seeking. Nor do I think anybody on this thread needs
to apologise! We're still figuring this stuff out as a project.)

I was actually thinking it might be a good idea to document this ourselves
somewhere. So that we have a simple to follow checklist of things to do
when planning these sorts of things. And you can just run down it as you go.

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Karen,

Posted by Karen Vuong <ka...@citrix.com>.
Hi all,

David and Noah - thank you for the feedback and pointers. It is much appreciated and very helpful.

Mark - thanks for confirming that you have received the approval from ConCom.

I will do the following:

1)           Since the Apache CloudStack logo will be used on www.cloudstackcollab.org<http://www.cloudstackcollab.org>, I will have the web team link the logo to http://cloudstack.apache.org. Karen to loop in trademarks@ and CC private@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org> detailing how the logo and other trademarks are used throughout the conference. (Including website, invitations, lanyards, t-shirts or any other swag, booths, etc.) and the steps we have taken to make sure they are used responsibly.

2)           Add a footer on www.cloudstackcollab.org<http://www.cloudstackcollab.org>  - 'Apache, CloudStack, Apache CloudStack, and the Cloud Monkey are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation'

3)           Have the ASF listed as a community partner.

4)           Add a paragraph with a brief description of Apache CloudStack to www.cloudstackcollab.org<http://www.cloudstackcollab.org> on the 'About page' and landing page. This will also include a link back to the Apache project's home page (http://cloudstack.apache.org/), linked from the "Apache CloudStack" wording.

About Apache CloudStack

Apache CloudStack is open source software designed to deploy and manage large networks of virtual machines, as a highly available, highly scalable Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform. CloudStack is used by a number of service providers to offer public cloud services, and by many companies to provide an on-premises (private) cloud offering, or as part of a hybrid cloud solution.

5)           Approval from ComCon was done in February 2013 (Mark has confirmed).

6)           PPMC approval - 8 PMC members participated and seemed to all be for the event (David has confirmed).

If anything else comes to mind, please feel free to share. Thanks!

Best regards,

Karen

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

What was the subject/date of the thread with ConCom? I was unable to find
it in my archives. (Likely an error on my part.)

Thanks,

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by Mark Hinkle <Ma...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: [DISCUSS] Website - CloudStack Collaboration Conference NA '13

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
I suddenly thought "Oh no! What if this has stuff has already happened! I
should check my mail archives!" I see your email to trademarks@ dated April
18th. I note, however, that it only covers the use of the logo on the
conference invitation.

I believe it might be necessary to detail how the logo and other trademarks
are used throughout the conference. (Including website,
invitations, lanyards, t-shirts or any other swag, booths, that sort of
thing...)

Apologies if I have missed anything else in my email!

--
NS