Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marcus Leon <Ma...@baltimore.com> on 2002/08/08 20:45:58 UTC

Can you successfully run Apache 2 on Solaris?

Has anyone been able to get Apache 2 running on Solaris?  We've had no luck.

When we start Apache:
-The Apache process (httpd) is started
-Apache listens on the specified port
-Control is not "returned" to the command prompt after running
"apachectl start".  The command kind of hangs there.
-The logs are completely empty.

When you request a page through Apache from your browser, Apache
appears to try to deliver a response but it never gets to the browser.

Our config is Apache 2.0.39 on Solaris 8 running on Sun hardware.
Note that this Apache runs fine on Linux.

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for
direct, special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept for Content Security threats, including
computer viruses.

http://www.baltimore.com

computer viruses.

Re: Can you successfully run Apache 2 on Solaris?

Posted by Chenthil Kumaran I <ic...@india.adventnet.com>.
Hello everybody. It is my first posting.  I do face the same problem reported by
Marcus in solaris8 machine . But the same apache(2.0.39 source compiled) is working
fine with solaris7 without any user/group change.   And i could be able to port the
apache build in solaris7 to a box running solaris8 and it is working fine.

The work-around we are following now for building apache2.0.39 in solaris 8 is by
configuring apache with disable-thread option.  Something like ./configure
--prefix=/dir/to/install --disable-thread.

I am not sure of its impact on the server build this way.  Any clues for this
behavior?

Chenthil

Posted by Charles Heizer <he...@llnl.gov>.