Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/09 06:43:27 UTC

TestCodecs running time

Hi

I've noticed that TestCodecs takes an insanely long time to run on my
machine - between 35-40 seconds. Is that expected?
The reason why it runs so long, seems to be that its threads make (each)
4000 iterations ... is that really required to ensure correctness?

Shai

Re: TestCodecs running time

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Yah :)

TestStressIndexing2 is another slow one... I'll go fix it...

Mike

Re: TestCodecs running time

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: TestCodecs running time

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
I have found it useful to keep two lists of tests: the slow tests and
the fast tests. Maybe the TestSuite feature would work for this
purpose?

An @SlowTest annotation would be even better. JUnit might have a tool
to do this filtering.

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Michael McCandless
<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> It's also slow because it repeats all the tests for each of the core
> codecs (standard, sep, pulsing, intblock).
>
> I think it's fine to reduce the number of iterations -- just make sure
> there's no seed to newRandom() so the distributing testing is
> "effective".
>
> Mike
>
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've noticed that TestCodecs takes an insanely long time to run on my
>> machine - between 35-40 seconds. Is that expected?
>> The reason why it runs so long, seems to be that its threads make (each)
>> 4000 iterations ... is that really required to ensure correctness?
>>
>> Shai

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: TestCodecs running time