Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Niki Ivanchev <ni...@icygen.com> on 2004/04/16 14:35:18 UTC

refreshing turbine.properties or how to change skin on the fly

Hello to all.
I have this problem. I  am creating some site with web based
administration module. Wtihin this administration mocule, site owner can
chage some site properties. One of this property is the site skin. Since
the default skin can be found on the turbine.properties file:
What I have done is
1. Administrator selects a skin
2. From the PullService I get UIManager Tool.
3. I set the new Skin using setSking();
But.. when application is restarted, the default skin is selected from
the turbine.properties file. How can I make skin selection 'permanent'?
Shall I write to turbine.properties or there is ready solution to this?
Reghards
Niki

Re: refreshing turbine.properties or how to change skin on the fly

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Niki Ivanchev wrote:

> Scott Eade wrote:
>
>> There is a proposed replacement to the UIManager in cvs that allows
>> for per user skins.  I use a different skin for each user that logs
>> in depending on an attribute associated with the user record.  I'm
>> using this in a production environment and it works well.  When I get
>> around to it I will be replacing the existing UIManager with this
>> code for 2.4.
>
> Is there some ETA when this code can be considered stable?

As I said, I am using this in a production environment and it works
well.  I have just committed a few minor changes to sync the code with
my local version.

Scott

--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Re: refreshing turbine.properties or how to change skin on the fly

Posted by Niki Ivanchev <ni...@icygen.com>.
Scott Eade wrote:

> Niki Ivanchev wrote:
>
>> I have this problem. I  am creating some site with web based
>> administration module. Wtihin this administration mocule, site owner
>> can chage some site properties. One of this property is the site
>> skin. Since the default skin can be found on the turbine.properties
>> file:
>> What I have done is
>> 1. Administrator selects a skin
>> 2. From the PullService I get UIManager Tool.
>> 3. I set the new Skin using setSking();
>> But.. when application is restarted, the default skin is selected
>> from the turbine.properties file. How can I make skin selection
>> 'permanent'? Shall I write to turbine.properties or there is ready
>> solution to this?
>

> There is a proposed replacement to the UIManager in cvs that allows
> for per user skins.  I use a different skin for each user that logs in
> depending on an attribute associated with the user record.  I'm using
> this in a production environment and it works well.  When I get around
> to it I will be replacing the existing UIManager with this code for 2.4.
>
> Scott

Is there some ETA when this code can be considered stable?
Regards

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
If you use the ConfigurationFactory from commons-configuration, you can set
up a hierarchy of properties files, and have turbine.properties be the last
choice.  then, save your changes to a myturbine.properties file and it will
override any properties that are in turbine.properties.  there are unit
tests demonstrating this.

Eric