Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Benjamin Lerer <bl...@apache.org> on 2021/11/08 16:28:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Creating a new slack channel for newcomers

Hi everybody,

Aleksei Zotov mentioned to me that it was a bit intimidating for newcomers
to ask beginner questions in the cassandra-dev channel as it has over 600
followers and that we should probably have a specific channel for
newcomers.
This proposal makes total sense to me.

What is your opinion on this? Do you have any concerns about it?

Benjamin

Re: [DISCUSS] Creating a new slack channel for newcomers

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
I think that's a great idea.

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

> not because there's 600 pair of eyes watching
> this (TBH, if you didn't mention it, I wouldn't have noticed it)

oof; that wasn't my intent at all! :)

I think a clearly written and easy to find community
> guideline highlighting that this mailing list is suitable for beginner
> questions, and give some suggestions/recommendations

So maybe fleshing out the "How to Contribute" section of the website a bit
here: https://cassandra.apache.org/_/community.html#how-to-contribute?
Could maybe also link to the JIRA filters for test failures and starter
tickets for an appropriate workload to get started with.

Posted by Henrik Ingo <he...@datastax.com>.
Btw, it would be possible to have a welcome-bot on Slack. It would
recognize new users joining the channel, and send them some friendly
message. Part of the message could be the list of friendly volunteers
available to help newcomers.

Henrik Ingo

+358 40 569 7354 <358405697354>

[image: Visit us online.] <https://www.datastax.com/>  [image: Visit us on
Twitter.] <https://twitter.com/DataStaxEng>  [image: Visit us on YouTube.]
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_channel_UCqA6zOSMpQ55vvguq4Y0jAg&d=DwMFaQ&c=adz96Xi0w1RHqtPMowiL2g&r=IFj3MdIKYLLXIUhYdUGB0cTzTlxyCb7_VUmICBaYilU&m=bmIfaie9O3fWJAu6lESvWj3HajV4VFwgwgVuKmxKZmE&s=16sY48_kvIb7sRQORknZrr3V8iLTfemFKbMVNZhdwgw&e=>
  [image: Visit my LinkedIn profile.] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/heingo/>

Re: [DISCUSS] Creating a new slack channel for newcomers

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <b....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joseph Lynch <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sumanth Pasupuleti <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bowen Song <bo...@bso.ng.INVALID>.

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@icloud.com.INVALID>.
> On Nov 8, 2021, at 8:43 AM, Matt Kennedy <ma...@datastax.com> wrote:
>
> welcome
> the addition of a dev slack channel as a much more approachable forum in
> which to ask stupid questions. This mailing least seems  focused on

Instead why don't we make cassandra-dev more approachable for new developers? If newcomers or boomerangs are afraid to ask stupid questions or feel intimidated, it is better to actually work on making cassandra-dev a friendlier channel and mailing list.

Being approachable and welcoming is not a function of a particular channel or mailing list. It is a function of the community. If the same 600 people (or a subset) are hanging out in a different channel, people will not have a different experience.

cassandra-dev has low enough volume that newbie questions can be accommodated.

Dinesh

Re: [DISCUSS] Creating a new slack channel for newcomers

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <b....@gmail.com>.

> New developers or new users?

It is for New contributors that are working on their first patches. The
idea is to create a safe space in which they could ask beginner questions
about the code.

Posted by Matt Kennedy <ma...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Berenguer Blasi <be...@gmail.com>.
+1 to a new channel, imo it will give that safe space to newcomers. Also
happy to be flagged as a mentor, helper, contact point or whatever to
the newcomers.

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Capwell <dc...@apple.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <b....@gmail.com>.