Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2020/02/27 11:45:18 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Should we clean labels?

Hi,

With OFBIZ-9352 (under OFBIZ-10565) Pierre Smits propose to remove unused labels from AccountingUiLabels.xml

This morning I looked at the related PR (17) and, using Label Manager (in Webtools) found that there are much more unused labels than those Pierre
proposes to remove.

I checked the 5 1st ones locally in my IDE and they are indeed unused (no references at all but in the label file).

Now we had already a talk with Pierre, Scott and Michael about removing labels in OFBIZ-9352.

Scott, Michael, and I in a less measure, are cautious about the reasons to remove "unused" labels and you can read in OFBIZ-9352.

To define an unused labels I repeat what I said above:

An unused label is a label reported by the Label Manager as unused that can be checked as unused by hand.

As you can see with my answer to Scoot in OFBIZ-9352, more work may be needed if we want to trace why a label is unused.

My question, is should we remove unused labels?

And if we do so, which steps should me required:

 1. Label Manager
 2. Check by hand locally
 3. Trace the reason

Obviously if we require the 3 steps nobody will do it (will you?).

Even the 2 steps are much work for a little benefit

So what? Should we close Jira issues related to removing unused labels as won't do. Should they stay for the "eternity"?

About the Label Manager "unused labels" option, I think it can be still useful in custom projects, but, as shown above, tricky OOTB.

Jacques

Re: [DISCUSSION] Should we clean labels?

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Saying is not proving IMO.

The contributor should at least provide information *how* he did the
checks along with the patch to help the committer decide. That is very
reasonable to ask for.

Low hanging fruits can also be foul. It does not help anyone to commit a
patch to remove labels and get one or more Jira bug reports back,
reporting missing labels.

Michael

ecomify GmbH - www.ecomify.de

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Re: IMO this check cannot be burdened upon the committer (if another
contributor provided the patch).The responsibility to thoroughly check if a
removed label is in fact unused should be on the contributor. Which means
he should prove which steps he took to check each removed label [2].

We can all guess what the comment with the patch will be: 'I did the manual
check(s) and I found it only in <foo>Labels.xml'.
What then?

   1. Asking for more details? Or screenshots? Or log excerpts?
   2. A statement of distrust towards the fellow contributor?

Don't require more than is reasonable for this kind of low hanging fruit.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor** of* Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/> since
2008 (without privileges)

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Weird, I don't get it as you can check at

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12994793/OFBIZ-9352-not-used.png

Jacques

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Jacques,

> [...]

>>> Manager (in Webtools) found that there are much more unused labels
>>> than those Pierre proposes to remove.
>>>
>>> I checked the 5 1st ones locally in my IDE and they are indeed
>>> unused (no references at all but in the label file).
>>>
>>> Now we had already a talk with Pierre, Scott and Michael about
>>> removing labels in OFBIZ-9352.
>>>
>>> Scott, Michael, and I in a less measure, are cautious about the
>>> reasons to remove "unused" labels and you can read in OFBIZ-9352.
>>>
>>> To define an unused labels I repeat what I said above:
>>>
>>> An unused label is a label reported by the Label Manager as unused
>>> that can be checked as unused by hand.
>>>
>>> As you can see with my answer to Scoot in OFBIZ-9352, more work may
>>> be needed if we want to trace why a label is unused.
>>>
>>> My question, is should we remove unused labels?
>>>
>>> And if we do so, which steps should me required:

>>> 2. Check by hand locally

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.