Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by chad kellerman <ck...@alabanza.com> on 2002/06/18 15:27:27 UTC

netstat -a localhost to localhost

Hello everyone,

    I have a redhat 6.2 machine ( I know a little behind the times, but it
works very well)  with Tomcat 4.0.1 running with mod webapp both securely and
non-securely.

    I little question.  Whne I run a netstat -a I notice many connection from
and to localhost  from the ports I designated in my server.xml configuration
file.  Is this normal?

    Here is a little output:

tcp        0      0 localhost:2327          localhost:8008
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 localhost:8008          localhost:2326
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 localhost:2326          localhost:8008
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 localhost:8008          localhost:2325
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 localhost:2325          localhost:8008
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 localhost:8008          localhost:2324
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 localhost:2324          localhost:8008
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 localhost:8008          localhost:2323
ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 localhost:2323          localhost:8008
ESTABLISHED
tcp

     I find it odd that the server ( being idle ) would have that many
localhost connections ESTABLISHED.  This is not public yet so there are not
too many requests yet.

     I am thinking it could be a java thing.  In my catalina.sh I have
CATALINA_OPTS set with  -Xmx64m -Xms32m.  Maybe tomcat will open as many
connections as it can with the amount of memory I allow it???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help,

--chad