Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/04 00:07:08 UTC

Re: Build scripts for smaller or more specific distributions

+1 to merge them into trunk. I found it very useful.

Thanks,
Raymond
Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>> Raymond Feng wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think it makes sense to check the scripts into trunk. Seeing
>>> working code is better than discussing better ideas :-).
>>
>> Ok I've copied them to java/sca/distribution/features. They shouldn't
>> break anything and are not included in the main build anyway.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> I've just made some minor improvements to these modules and renamed
> features/base to core.
>
> Since I was fixing these names I've also renamed tools/eclipse/
> features/feature to core as well, as it'll make more sense if we add
> more features to that folder later.
>
> Hope this helps.

I made a few more improvements in SVN r685747:

- added build scripts for source distros

- added profiles to build modules included in a distro with mvn -Pmodules

In the next few days I'll try to add a build of the OSGi integration
which seems to be coming together.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Build scripts for smaller or more specific distributions

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>> Mike Edwards wrote:
>>> Jean-Sebastien,
>>>
>>> I was one of the nay-sayers way back.
>>>
>>> But I've changed my mind.  Let's try this out.
>>>
>>> I still think that it would be useful to have install scripts that
>>> would deal with popular runtime combinations (Geronimo, Tomcat, etc).
>>>
>>> But your approach here will give us some "smal and simple" packages
>>> for folk who are doing "small and simple" stuff.
>>>
>>> +1 to put it into trunk.
>>
>> The build scripts are already in trunk under distribution/features.
>>
>>> +1 to put it into the build too.
>>
>> To build all packages run mvn in distribution/features.
>> To build package X run mvn in distribution/features/X.
>> To build a package and the modules it depends on run mvn -Pmodules.

I've added a distribution/features/repository module that generates a
Zip containing a Maven  repository with the Tuscany JARs and
dependencies in it.

I found it useful when building disconnected from the network or as a
backup when the online Maven repositories are down or slow.

Hope this helps.
--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Build scripts for smaller or more specific distributions

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> Mike Edwards wrote:
>> Jean-Sebastien,
>>
>> I was one of the nay-sayers way back.
>>
>> But I've changed my mind.  Let's try this out.
>>
>> I still think that it would be useful to have install scripts that
>> would deal with popular runtime combinations (Geronimo, Tomcat, etc).
>>
>> But your approach here will give us some "smal and simple" packages
>> for folk who are doing "small and simple" stuff.
>>
>> +1 to put it into trunk.
>
> The build scripts are already in trunk under distribution/features.
>
>> +1 to put it into the build too.
>
> To build all packages run mvn in distribution/features.
> To build package X run mvn in distribution/features/X.
> To build a package and the modules it depends on run mvn -Pmodules.
>
> Hope this helps.

I've made the following improvements to these packages:

- updated them to match the new or renamed modules in trunk

- used Maven assembly component descriptors for declarations shared by
multiple packages

- the packages are smaller as they don't duplicate anymore the jars from
the core package, and the sample modules exclude the binary files

- added shell scripts to help maintain the Maven descriptors, they
should be easy to convert to a Maven plugin (as they just wrap the Maven
dependency:list plugin:goal).

I've also started to test the latest OSGi support and I'll try to create
a similar package for it.
--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Build scripts for smaller or more specific distributions

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Sebastien,

I was one of the nay-sayers way back.

But I've changed my mind.  Let's try this out.

I still think that it would be useful to have install scripts that would deal with popular runtime
combinations (Geronimo, Tomcat, etc).

But your approach here will give us some "smal and simple" packages for folk who are doing "small
and simple" stuff.

+1 to put it into trunk.
+1 to put it into the build too.

Yours,  Mike.