Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by "William C (Bill) Jones" <wc...@fccj.edu> on 2002/09/25 19:04:50 UTC

Perl.apache.org Site ?

This is likely a FAQ, but I haven't seen an answer, so the purpose of this
e-mail:

How did you create such a great perl.apache.org site?  And it is available
for others to use?

???
-Sx-  :]

Re: Perl.apache.org Site ?

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no>.
At 19:04 25.09.2002, William C (Bill) Jones wrote:
>This is likely a FAQ, but I haven't seen an answer, so the purpose of this
>e-mail:
>
>How did you create such a great perl.apache.org site?  And it is available
>for others to use?

Take a lot of time, a lot of programmers, and you get  a good site!

Really though:
- the project was led all the way by Stas. He deserves the credit and his
vacation :)
- the design started out as a contest, with Thomas Klausner won, then
further improved, mostly by Allan Juul who made it what it is today (with
many comments from others on the team).
- the site is built using DocSet, a package that was created mostly for
this purpose but is very suitable for any hierarchical site. It's available
from CPAN, and you can look at our CVS repository for a (good) example of
how it works. Very simple to understand and very powerful if you like to
write in Pod (and you can of course add other document types, but you have
to code some modules for those to work).

I hope that answers your question.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
pereinar@oslo.online.no