Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Tyler Hardesty <th...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/27 01:05:00 UTC

VMware server with test machine

So I have been trying to set up a test machine installing everything on an
Imac loaded with centos 5.5... I'm using the instructions for setting up a
test machine using only VMware server 2.0.2 (don't have any blade machines)
and I think I've made it to the point where I need to create a windows base
image... The instructions say: "The instructions assume that VMware has been
configured with the following bridged networks:

   - VMnet0: bridged to private interface: eth0
   - VMnet2: bridged to public interface: eth1"

... My machine only has eth0 (no eth1)... is that a virtual NIC or are there
separate instructions somewhere for installing and configuring VMware server
2.0.2 to be compatible with Apache VCL (I've never used VMware server until
about a week ago when I installed it and configured it on a test machine at
home using the instructions on the VMware site... I created 3 test machines
but their network configs don't seem to be the same as what Apache VCL is
looking for)

Any help would be great!!!! Thanks!

-Tyler Hardesty

Re: VMware server with test machine

Posted by Jay Diener-Brazelle <ja...@vcu.edu>.
On 2/26/2011 7:05 PM, Tyler Hardesty wrote:
> So I have been trying to set up a test machine installing everything
> on an Imac loaded with centos 5.5... I'm using the instructions for
> setting up a test machine using only VMware server 2.0.2 (don't have
> any blade machines) and I think I've made it to the point where I need
> to create a windows base image... The instructions say: "The
> instructions assume that VMware has been configured with the following
> bridged networks:
>
>     * VMnet0: bridged to private interface: eth0
>     * VMnet2: bridged to public interface: eth1"
>
> ... My machine only has eth0 (no eth1)... is that a virtual NIC or are
> there separate instructions somewhere for installing and configuring
> VMware server 2.0.2 to be compatible with Apache VCL (I've never used
> VMware server until about a week ago when I installed it and
> configured it on a test machine at home using the instructions on the
> VMware site... I created 3 test machines but their network configs
> don't seem to be the same as what Apache VCL is looking for)
>
> Any help would be great!!!! Thanks!
>
> -Tyler Hardesty
The public interface is for accessing the machines via RDC once the
reservation is made.  This would be how your users accessed the
machines.  The private interface is for the management console to do its
magic to the machines.

In VMWare you should be able to go to the properties of the VMs and add
another adapter to them.  You will also need to go to the Network
properties of the server itself and establish another vSwitch.  This new
vSwitch needs to be able to talk to the management console.  Setting
this up varies from version to version of the VMWare tools and I don't
know the specifics of how its done with VMWare server 2.02.