Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Vic Cekvenich <vc...@basebeans.com> on 2003/02/19 14:04:13 UTC

JDK 1.4 - again

Some time ago I posted that maybe Tomcat 5.0 should require 1.4, and
Tomcat 4 be 1.3.

News:
Resin 3.0 (the fastest container) requires JDK1.4.

And http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/jdk1.4-status.html

Of course 1.4 is faster, more reflection.

(Also: Doug Lea's collections that are fast and threaded are in JDK 1.5.)

Please consider requiring the better/faster 1.4.

.V

Re: JDK 1.4 - again

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Vic Cekvenich wrote:
> Some time ago I posted that maybe Tomcat 5.0 should require 1.4, and
> Tomcat 4 be 1.3.
>
> News:
> Resin 3.0 (the fastest container) requires JDK1.4.

Resin is commercial product and a company make its own choice (see M$).

Tomcat is OSS and follow what developpers/users feel the best for.

> And http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/jdk1.4-status.html

I'm using IBM SDK on many differents systems, and for example
there is still not SDK 1.4 for Linux PowerPC.

> Of course 1.4 is faster, more reflection.
>
> (Also: Doug Lea's collections that are fast and threaded are in JDK 1.5.)
>
> Please consider requiring the better/faster 1.4.

And as I said previously JDK 1.3.1 is more than suffisant.

We could add a note indicating that JDK 1.4 will make tomcat run
faster but I'd like to see your own benchmarks to know how faster
it will be (5%, 10%).

Re: JDK 1.4 - again

Posted by Amy Roh <am...@apache.org>.
Steve Burrus wrote:

> Gentlemen, as I really do appreciate all of the discussion about just how fast Resin and the others are, I was MAINLY asking about just what it is!!! Is it also a web container/application server like my Tomcat is? And in yer reply to me, would you also tell me how it's set up?

As John already mentioned, you can find more info about Resin at
http://www.caucho.com/.  Why don't you just search for Resin?  Google
gives you the website.

Re: JDK 1.4 - again

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
> > Gentlemen, as I really do appreciate all of the discussion about just
how fast
> > Resin and the others are, I was MAINLY asking about just what it is!!!
Is it
> > also a web container/application server like my Tomcat is? And in yer
reply to
> > me, would you also tell me how it's set up?
>
> Wow! When did hell freeze over?

Yeah, well, I'm guessing that most of the respondents on this thread haven't
spent much time on tomcat-user ;-).

Re: JDK 1.4 - again

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

RE: JDK 1.4 - again

Posted by Steve Burrus <bu...@swbell.net>.

RE: JDK 1.4 - again

Posted by George Sexton <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
Fast is relative. I tested our App on Tomcat 4.0, 4.1, Resin, Orion, and
OC4J. I was not able to come up with any noticeable difference in
performance.  If your application is database intensive, as our is, then the
limiting factor is the database and not the application server.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar Software
http://www.mhsoftware.com/connectdaily.htm
Posted by John Trollinger <ja...@trollingers.com>.
http://www.caucho.com/

Re: JDK 1.4 - again