Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by David Coe <Da...@microsoft.com.INVALID> on 2023/05/23 15:02:24 UTC

ADBC -> Arrow references for C#

We recently put up feat(csharp): adding C# functionality by davidhcoe * Pull Request #697 * apache/arrow-adbc (github.com)<https://github.com/apache/arrow-adbc/pull/697>. This PR introduces C# functionality for ADBC and is dependent on capabilities introduced in GH-33856: [C#] Implement C Data Interface for C# by CurtHagenlocher * Pull Request #35496 * apache/arrow (github.com)<https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/35496>, which has now been merged to main.

We currently use the submodule approach for ADBC to reference Arrow. This submodule was pointed at

[submodule "arrow"]
              path = arrow
              url = https://github.com/CurtHagenlocher/arrow
              branch = CSharp_CAPI

until the PR was merged. Since this has now landed, we can clean up the references a bit, but wanted to get some thoughts on the best way to do so. Here are some proposed options, in order of preference and ease of use:

1. An Apache.Arrow 13.0.0-alpha release is published to nuget
2. Release an interim nuget package called something like Temp.Apache.Arrow.CData so it can be referenced from within the ADBC project
3. Update the submodule to point to the main repo. Add instructions for how to pull this submodule.

Any thoughts on the best way to do these and potential timeframes?

  *   David

Re: ADBC -> Arrow references for C#

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
So far we've waited for official releases (and that reminds me I need to bump Java). Except Golang can easily reference different versions as necessary (and we've had to do that before to pick up fixes, we should bump to the released 12.0.0 if we haven't already though).

That said for C# I think it would be OK to use a submodule for now while we get things working (and C# just might not be included in releases for the time being).

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

How about just checking out apache/arrow in GitHub Actions
because this is a temporary problem until the next Apache
Arrow release?

We can checkout apache/arrow-adbc and apache/arrow by the
following steps:

  - uses: actions/checkout@v3
  - uses: actions/checkout@v3
    with:
      repository: apache/arrow
      path: csharp/arrow

Developers can checkout out apache/arrow or create a
symbolic link from existing apache/arrow checkout manually
if they need.

kou

In
 <BL...@BL0PR2101MB0964.namprd21.prod.outlook.com>