Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Erick Ramirez <er...@apache.org> on 2022/05/30 07:20:21 UTC

[DISCUSS] CASSANDRA-17669 - CentOS/RHEL installation requires JRE not available in Java 11

Package installations on CentOS/RHEL require JRE 1.8+ so on systems where
only Java 11 is installed, either (a) Java 8 is installed as a dependency,
or (b) the dependency check fails.

I haven't seen any tickets or previous discussions on this issue so here it
is -- since JRE is no longer available in Java 11, should we consider
dropping the dependency from the RHEL spec? We don't have this requirement
for Debian installations so dropping it from CentOS/RHEL just brings it
in-line. Thoughts? 🙂

Re: [DISCUSS] CASSANDRA-17669 - CentOS/RHEL installation requires JRE not available in Java 11

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 6:23 AM Erick Ramirez <er...@apache.org> wrote:

> Yeah, I agree. But in any case, is the dependency check relevant?

It requires that java be installed, so I think so.

 > It's just expecting a Java higher than 8 which should be covered by
the JVM version check in the startup script, right?

It's expecting a version of the package that provides 'jre' to be
equal to or greater than 1.8.  What startup scripts do is orthogonal
to package management.

Re: [DISCUSS] CASSANDRA-17669 - CentOS/RHEL installation requires JRE not available in Java 11

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@apache.org>.
Yeah, I agree. But in any case, is the dependency check relevant? It's just

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
I read your ticket
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17669) and understand
now.  If they are only offered the JDK and not the JRE broken out on
its own, we can switch the dependency to the JDK.  I'm not sure why
they didn't just alias that since the JDK is the only way to get a JRE
now.

Kind Regards,
Brandon

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.