Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Uli Bethke <ul...@sonra.io> on 2015/04/23 13:42:46 UTC

Drill & approximate query

Is approximate query on the roadmap/radar for Apache Drill (similar to
what we have in BlinkDB)?

I see the following benefit of this feature:
When performing data discovery, the analyst can often trade off raw
speed against accuracy.
Data discovery tools such as Datameer etc. work on a statistically
significant sample of data. Approximate query could potentially put
Drill at a par with these.

I would also be interested to find out what other people's point of view
is on this.
Cheers
Uli

Re: Drill & approximate query

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Uli,

To add to what Ted said, we'll be adding some items in this vein in the
medium term.  That being said, we would be more than happy to accept
contributions of ideas, design or code if you were so inclined on any of
these things.  Sometimes, the quickest way to get these things is to
contribute them :)

Re: Drill & approximate query

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Uli,