Posted to dev@etch.apache.org by scott comer <we...@mac.com> on 2009/05/20 17:12:01 UTC

naming of artifacts...

so there was a discussion awhile back about artifact names. since we are
trying to get this right in
release 1.1...

currently we build artifacts named like this:

    etch-ant-plugin-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-ant-plugin-1.1.0.jar
    etch-compiler-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-compiler-1.1.0.jar
    etch-csharp-compiler-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-csharp-compiler-1.1.0.jar
    etch-java-compiler-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-java-compiler-1.1.0.jar
    etch-java-runtime-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-java-runtime-1.1.0.jar
    etch-xml-compiler-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-xml-compiler-1.1.0.jar

i'm thinking this needs to be something like this:

    etch-ant-plugin-incubating-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-ant-plugin-incubating-1.1.0.jar
    etch-compiler-incubating-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-compiler-incubating-1.1.0.jar
    etch-csharp-compiler-incubating-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-csharp-compiler-incubating-1.1.0.jar
    etch-java-compiler-incubating-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-java-compiler-incubating-1.1.0.jar
    etch-java-runtime-incubating-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-java-runtime-incubating-1.1.0.jar
    etch-xml-compiler-incubating-1.1.0-src.zip
    etch-xml-compiler-incubating-1.1.0.jar

right? wrong?

scott out

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by Manoj Ganesan <ma...@gmail.com>.
Version number at the end looks better to me. Rick, is a classifier just
supposed to be 'classifying' information about an artifact, like -dev or
-prod?... in which case, does incubating at the end make sense from the
Maven perspective? Or is there no such hard and fast rule about that?

Manoj.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
there is a requirement for such marking.

agreeed +1 (for the mavenish way)

scott out

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by James Dixson <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by rick bolkey <ri...@bolkey.org>.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by rick bolkey <ri...@bolkey.org>.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
rick! long time no see...

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM, scott comer <we...@mac.com> wrote:

> mvn install:install-file
> "-Dfile=apache-etch-ant-plugin-1.1.0-incubating.jar"
> -DgroupId=org.apache.etch -DartifactId=apache-etch-ant-plugin
> -Dversion=1.1.0 -Dpackaging=jar

-Dversion=1.1.0-incubating

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
ok, here are the current artifact names:

ApacheEtchCsharpIncubating.dll
ApacheEtchCsharpIncubating.pdb
ApacheEtchCsharpIncubatingSrc.zip
apache-etch-ant-plugin-1.1.0-incubating-src.zip
apache-etch-ant-plugin-1.1.0-incubating.jar
apache-etch-compiler-1.1.0-incubating-src.zip
apache-etch-compiler-1.1.0-incubating.jar
apache-etch-csharp-compiler-1.1.0-incubating-src.zip
apache-etch-csharp-compiler-1.1.0-incubating.jar
apache-etch-java-compiler-1.1.0-incubating-src.zip
apache-etch-java-compiler-1.1.0-incubating.jar
apache-etch-java-runtime-1.1.0-incubating-src.zip
apache-etch-java-runtime-1.1.0-incubating.jar
apache-etch-xml-compiler-1.1.0-incubating-src.zip
apache-etch-xml-compiler-1.1.0-incubating.jar

currently the jars would be installed for maven with flags like these:

mvn install:install-file
"-Dfile=apache-etch-ant-plugin-1.1.0-incubating.jar"
-DgroupId=org.apache.etch -DartifactId=apache-etch-ant-plugin
-Dversion=1.1.0 -Dpackaging=jar

source zips are installed like this:

mvn install:install-file
"-Dfile=apache-etch-ant-plugin-1.1.0-incubating-src.zip"
-DgroupId=org.apache.etch -DartifactId=apache-etch-ant-plugin
-Dversion=1.1.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dclassifier=sources

are these the appropriate flags? incubating doesn't appear except in the
file name.

scott out

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by rick bolkey <ri...@bolkey.org>.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by James Dixson <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
quoting from:

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by scott comer <we...@mac.com>.
also, i forgot, but in my previous message the recommendation is by
graduation we have apache-etch instead of etch. we
might as well do that now...

while, we're at it...

it isn't customary to include a version number in the name of a dll, but
we have the potential for dll from multiple
bindings now.

i propose we rename the csharp binding's Etch.dll to be

ApacheEtchCsharpIncubating.dll

and then the c binding, when we build it, could be

ApacheEtchCIncubating.dll

scott out

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by James Dixson <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: naming of artifacts...

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
>From Incubator's point of view it doesn't matter where "incubating" is
in the names, but if you want to play nice with Maven users, I suggest
that you put it in the "version" and at the "end". This allows the
artifactId and groupId to remain intact when you leave Incubator, and
Maven's version resolution (latest, SNAPSHOT and such) can only handle
non-numbers after the formal version.

Cheers