Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2007/08/01 08:53:55 UTC

Re: Problems with method level container transactions in Geronimo 2.0 / OpenEJB

On Jul 25, 2007, at 7:57 PM, Christopher Blythe wrote:

> I was working on DayTrader 2.0 when I found that the resetTrade
> method for all of the runtime modes (with the exception of Direct
> mode) would fail. I went back and deploy DayTrader 1.2 on GMO 2.0
> and noticed the same behavior. I then went back and deploy DT 1.2
> on GMO 1.1.1 and resetTrade worked for EJB mode like a champ.
>
> If you look in the ejb-jar.xml and check out the container
> transactions, you see the following...
>
>         <container-transaction>
>             <method>
>                 <ejb-name>TradeEJB</ejb-name>
>                 <method-intf>Remote</method-intf>
>                 <method-name>resetTrade</method-name>
>                 <method-params>
>                     <method-param>boolean</method-param>
>                 </method-params>
>             </method>
>             <trans-attribute>NotSupported</trans-attribute>
>         </container-transaction>
>
>         <container-transaction>
>             <method>
>                 <ejb-name>TradeEJB</ejb-name>
>                 <method-name>*</method-name>
>             </method>
>             <trans-attribute>Required</trans-attribute>
>         </container-transaction>

Took me a couple hours to dig through this but basically what is
happening is that the second transaction attribute declaration for
TradeEJB (method "*") is essentially overwriting the first (method
"resetTrade(boolean)).  These are processed in the order they are
declared so fixing it should be as easy as moving the "resetTrade
(boolean)" declaration to be after the "*" declaration.

If you know of a part of the EJB spec that is relevant I'm definitely
all ears -- as far as I know it's valid to process them in the order
they are declared.

For the future (not 2.0) and provided it isn't explicitly prohibited
by the spec, we could possibly order the container-transaction
declarations for an ejb from least specific to most specific and
process them that way -- like we do for interceptor-bindings.  If you
had some time to do some leg work on digging through the spec that'd
be great.

-David

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

> That's the info I was looking for.  I'll fix this.

Should be good now.

-David

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

> On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Christopher Blythe wrote:
>
>> David...
>>
>> Do you have a JIRA for this yet?
>

> Added one here http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-623

Here click the this link to be notified of when it's fixed:

  http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?
id=12375174&watch=true

-David

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.