Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by sahil aggarwal <sa...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/23 08:55:30 UTC

RS not aborting on hostname mismatch after reporting duty to master

Hi,

In case of interim DNS name resolution failing at Hmaster, the hostname
mismatch fails at RS but then we don't abort the RS. Is it expected
behavior?

In my case it lead to HMaster showing 2 entries on its UI as active RS for
same server(1 as hostname and anther as IP). Regions were assigned to the
RS with IP instead of hostname. And, regions assigned to that faulty RS
were getting NSREs.

Following the code i reached HRegionServer.handleReportForDutyResponse()
where we just log it and don't abort.

if (StringUtils.isBlank(useThisHostnameInstead) &&
              !hostnameFromMasterPOV.equals(rpcServices.isa.getHostName()))
{
            String msg = "Master passed us a different hostname to use;
was=" +
                rpcServices.isa.getHostName() + ", but now=" +
hostnameFromMasterPOV;
            LOG.error(msg);
          }