Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/09 12:32:49 UTC

[classlib/VMI] o.a.h.boot.class.path property

I think we need to clarify VMI contract on "o.a.h.boot.class.path" property.
Currently luni natives set this property to default bcp during
JNI_OnLoad, accordingly to content of
"%java.home%/lib/boot/bootclasspath.properties" file.
Should the VM sync value of this property back with added path to
kernel classes and/or user-provided cmd-line entries?

>From what I observe, j9 does this and DRLVM does not. Classlib uses
this property to lookup resources like i18n, and for (re)launching
tools - but I may be missing smth.

Opinios?

Alexey

Re: [classlib/VMI] o.a.h.boot.class.path property

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Oct 9, 2006, at 6:32 AM, Alexey Varlamov wrote:

> I think we need to clarify VMI contract on "o.a.h.boot.class.path"
> property.
> Currently luni natives set this property to default bcp during
> JNI_OnLoad, accordingly to content of
> "%java.home%/lib/boot/bootclasspath.properties" file.
> Should the VM sync value of this property back with added path to
> kernel classes and/or user-provided cmd-line entries?
>
> From what I observe, j9 does this and DRLVM does not. Classlib uses
> this property to lookup resources like i18n, and for (re)launching
> tools - but I may be missing smth.

I thought about doing this on saturday when committing the code for
JIRA 1626, but it seemed somewhat odd for me to have the VM do that.

I thought maybe we would have a second property that was one that
represented the "complete" boot class path so there would be an
understanding between classlib and vm that once that one is set,
that's it.

I don't feel strongly there.

geir