Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Kismat Sood <Ki...@spacex.com> on 2011/10/03 18:02:29 UTC

RE: Replication Question

Thank you for the link. Setting it up looks simple, but I can't tell if data is compressed when it is sent over the network during replication. Any idea where I could find this out?

Thanks again.
Kismat

Posted by Nils Breunese <N....@vpro.nl>.
Run something like tcpdump and check the traffic?

Nils.
Posted by Cory Zue <cz...@dimagi.com>.
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Kismat Sood <Ki...@spacex.com>
> wrote:
> > Thank you for the link. Setting it up looks simple, but I can't tell if
> data is compressed when it is sent over the network during replication. Any
> idea where I could find this out?

If you needed it to be compressed you could try replicating through a
compressed ssh tunnel. We have had success with this approach in
low-bandwidth environments and it solves some of the problems of data
overhead and gets you secure replication without setting up complicated
proxies to boot.

Cory

Re: Replication Question

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Kismat Sood <Ki...@spacex.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the link. Setting it up looks simple, but I can't tell if data is compressed when it is sent over the network during replication. Any idea where I could find this out?

Only attachments that were stored in compressed form (gzip, see the
[attachments] section in the .ini config) will be send to the target
in compressed form.

You can always verify it by yourself using a packet sniffer
(wireshark, tcpdump, tcpflow) - it's http and json, how easier could
it be?

> Thanks again.
> Kismat

Filipe David Manana,