Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> on 2005/01/14 18:33:54 UTC

Re: svn commit: r12717 - in trunk: . build/ac-macros build/generator subversion/bindings/swig subversion/bindings/swig/perl/libsvn_swig_perl subversion/bindings/swig/perl/native subversion/bindings/swig/python/libsvn_swig_py

maxb@tigris.org writes:

> Author: maxb
> Date: Thu Jan 13 17:31:43 2005
> New Revision: 12717

> Log:
> SWIG 1.3.24 compatibility.
> Based on a patch by John Lenz <le...@cs.wisc.edu>.

It appears that SWIG 1.3.24 is not compatible with Python2.1, I get a
runtime error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pm/sw/subversion/svn/tools/examples/svnlook.py", line 23, in ?
    from svn import core, fs, delta, repos
  File "/usr/local/subversion/lib/svn-python/svn/core.py", line 19, in ?
    from libsvn.core import *
  File "/usr/local/subversion/lib/svn-python/libsvn/core.py", line 5, in ?
    import _core
ImportError: /usr/local/subversion/lib/libsvn_swig_py-1.so.0: undefined symbol: PyOS_snprintf

It appears that PyOS_snprintf is new in Python2.2, so I guess
Subversion should disable the python bindings if Python2.1 is
detected.

I have installed Python2.2 and the PyOS_snprintf error has gone, but I
now get warnings like:

/usr/local/subversion/lib/svn-python/libsvn/core.py:5: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for module _core: This Python has API version 1011, module _core has version 1010.
  import _core

which I guess means that Python2.1 is still getting used somewhere.
I'm still trying to track that down.

--
Philip Martin

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:

> http://www.swig.org/compat.html claims that it supports all the way
> back to 1.5, and there is no mention of dropped support in the SWIG
> changes, so if SWIG 1.3.24 has really has inadvertently bound itself
> to 2.2+, then I imagine the SWIG developers would like to know.

I've sent several mails to the swig lists (I tried swig and swig-dev)
but I never get a response and they never show up in the archives.

--
Philip Martin

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Max Bowsher wrote:

> David Summers wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> >
> >> --On Friday, January 14, 2005 6:33 PM +0000 Philip Martin

> >> IIRC, we were previously ensuring that Python 1.5 worked with the SWIG
> >> bindings.  Do we mean to bump everyone up to Python 2.2 as well?  --
> >> justin
> >>

> > Note: If this were to happen it would leave the RedHat 7.3 users
> > behind without upgrading the python packages which are normally deeply
> > intertwined with other packages.  RedHat 7.3 uses python 1.5.2.
>
> The bindings have been requiring 2.0 since before I joined the Subversion
> project.
>
> Our testsuite requires 2.0.
>
> Our INSTALL file documents that we require 2.0 to build from a svn checkout.
> (Although, we do try to keep the build generator working with 1.5.2, but
> haven't  formally documented that we guarantee this).
>
> http://www.swig.org/compat.html claims that it supports all the way back to
> 1.5, and there is no mention of dropped support in the SWIG changes, so if
> SWIG 1.3.24 has really has inadvertently bound itself to 2.2+, then I
> imagine the SWIG developers would like to know.

Oops, forget my previous post, I didn't (re-)look closely enough.

RedHat 7.3 has a python2 package (python 2.2.2) that I forgot about, I
just did a query for python before I wrote the above email.

Sorry for the false alarm.

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
David Summers wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>> --On Friday, January 14, 2005 6:33 PM +0000 Philip Martin
>> <ph...@codematters.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> It appears that SWIG 1.3.24 is not compatible with Python2.1, I get a
>>> runtime error:
>>
>> IIRC, we were previously ensuring that Python 1.5 worked with the SWIG
>> bindings.  Do we mean to bump everyone up to Python 2.2 as well?  --
>> justin
>>

> Note: If this were to happen it would leave the RedHat 7.3 users
> behind without upgrading the python packages which are normally deeply
> intertwined with other packages.  RedHat 7.3 uses python 1.5.2.

The bindings have been requiring 2.0 since before I joined the Subversion
project.

Our testsuite requires 2.0.

Our INSTALL file documents that we require 2.0 to build from a svn checkout.
(Although, we do try to keep the build generator working with 1.5.2, but
haven't  formally documented that we guarantee this).

http://www.swig.org/compat.html claims that it supports all the way back to
1.5, and there is no mention of dropped support in the SWIG changes, so if
SWIG 1.3.24 has really has inadvertently bound itself to 2.2+, then I
imagine the SWIG developers would like to know.

Max.

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.