Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Johan Peeters <jo...@alcatel.be> on 2000/04/05 06:38:42 UTC

Tomcat+ApacheHOWTO

I have been setting up Tomcat on an NT SP 6 machine.
Here are some difficulties I encountered:

   * the HOWTO file correctly states that you should comment out the
     line containing libexec/mod_jserv.so and uncomment the line
     containing modules/ApacheModuleJServ.dll. However, apache would not

     restart. I found that it DID restart when commenting out the line
     commenting out <IfModule mod_jserv.c> as well and putting in a line

     containing <IfModule ApacheModuleJServ.c>
   * the file warns that tomcat must not be started on the same port as
     Apache, but it does not state how. Apparently, there is contention
     between tomcat and Apache for the same port; I include the command
     line output, including the stacktrace when I try to start tomcat.
     Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Yo

--
Johan Peeters mailto:johan.peeters@alcatel.be
Software Architect - Net Commerce

Re: Tomcat+ApacheHOWTO

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@jmonkey.com>.
You have a port conflict... make sure the internal Tomcat HTTPD is not
running on port 80 (or at least the same port as Apache).

- Brill Pappin

----

> D:\Java\jakarta-tomcat\bin>tomcat run
> Using classpath:
..\classes;..\lib\webserver.jar;..\lib\jasper.jar;..\lib\xml.ja

r;..\lib\servlet.jar;\lib\tools.jar;..\classes;..\lib\webserver.jar;..\lib\j
aspe

r.jar;..\lib\xml.jar;..\lib\servlet.jar;\lib\tools.jar;..\classes;..\lib\web
serv

er.jar;..\lib\jasper.jar;..\lib\xml.jar;..\lib\servlet.jar;\lib\tools.jar;..
\cla

sses;..\lib\webserver.jar;..\lib\jasper.jar;..\lib\xml.jar;..\lib\servlet.ja
r;\l
> ib\tools.jar;D:\Java\jdk1.2\lib\tools.jar
> Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
> FATAL: java.net.BindException: Address in use: bind
> java.net.BindException: Address in use: bind
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:390)
>         at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:173)
>         at
org.apache.tomcat.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(Default
> ServerSocketFactory.java:103)
>         at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.startEndpoint(SimpleTcpEn
> dpoint.java:188)
>         at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.start(SimpleTcpConnector

RE: Tomcat+ApacheHOWTO

Posted by James & Sue Ann Birchfield <js...@home.com>.
In your server.xml file, change the '8080' port to whatever you want that
will not conflict with Apache.

James Birchfield
Chief Technology Officer
jmbirchfield@proteus-technologies.com