Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by ro...@us.ibm.com on 2011/06/04 15:42:54 UTC

Build machines: external or colocated?

I've heard some valid concerns about hardware resources needed to build
OpenOffice.  Since I just happen to know a company that is in the hardware
business, I might be able to get them to help out in this department.  But
I wanted to first check on what the possibilities are on the Apache side.
In particular, does Apache have some way to accept hardware donations and
have them co-located in your data center, with Apache taking care of
physical infrastructure, back ups, bandwidth, etc.  Is that possible at
all?  Or should I be looking at some way these build machines could be
hosted externally?  How is this ordinarily done at Apache?

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Build machines: external or colocated?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
On Jun 4, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Niall Pemberton
> <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In short, just tell us what you think you need resource-wise, and we'll work
>>> with you to sort out the details.  The Infrastructure Team is reachable at
>>> infrastructure@a.o, but I'm considering mentoring this podling to help bridge
>>> any gaps.
>>
>> I think it would be invaluable to OO for you to be a mentor, so I hope you do.
>
> +1.  And not just to help bridge gaps in infrastructure.

+1, agreed. I'm more interested in the shows he does at 7pm and 9pm -- try the veil!

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Build machines: external or colocated?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> In short, just tell us what you think you need resource-wise, and we'll work
>> with you to sort out the details.  The Infrastructure Team is reachable at
>> infrastructure@a.o, but I'm considering mentoring this podling to help bridge
>> any gaps.
>
> I think it would be invaluable to OO for you to be a mentor, so I hope you do.

+1.  And not just to help bridge gaps in infrastructure.

> Niall

- Sam Ruby

Re: Build machines: external or colocated?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ro...@us.ibm.com.
Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote on 06/04/2011 10:37:03 AM:

> In short, just tell us what you think you need resource-wise, and we'll
work
> with you to sort out the details.  The Infrastructure Team is reachable
at
> infrastructure@a.o, but I'm considering mentoring this podling to help
bridge
> any gaps.

Thanks for the offer, Joe.  The current proposal does say that an
infrastructure mentor would be valued, so if you have some cycles to
spare, it would surely be appreciated.

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <sv...@mobsol.be>.
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Most of Apache Infrastructure is based on shared resources, and our build
> environments are no exception.   We currently provide both jenkins and
> buildbot
> based build systems, and the slaves naturally run jobs for several
> projects.

While that used to be true, the Subversion project has dedicated buildbot
slaves running in a dedicated virtual machines, or machines set up but svn
folks. Once builds are taking too long to finish - thereby blocking other
builds from other projects - it doesn't make sense anymore to share slaves.

Also as for OOo a lot of libraries need to be installed to get it to build,
it'll be much easier (well, less difficult) to keep it separated from the
other projects.

Lieven

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 4, 2011 9:43 AM, <ro...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I've heard some valid concerns about hardware resources needed to build
> OpenOffice.  Since I just happen to know a company that is in the hardware
> business, I might be able to get them to help out in this department.  But
> I wanted to first check on what the possibilities are on the Apache side.
> In particular, does Apache have some way to accept hardware donations and
> have them co-located in your data center, with Apache taking care of
> physical infrastructure, back ups, bandwidth, etc.  Is that possible at
> all?  Or should I be looking at some way these build machines could be
> hosted externally?  How is this ordinarily done at Apache?

Pretty much without fail, hardware donations have turned out... shall we
say, "less than effective."

I'd be interested in learning how OOo and LO do their wide array of build
targets. Where and how are those machines hosted? That would help in
defining and scoping the problem for the ASF.

Thanks,
-g

sa3ruby@gmail.com wrote on 06/04/2011 10:19:27 AM:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM,  <ro...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > I've heard some valid concerns about hardware resources needed to
build
> > OpenOffice.  Since I just happen to know a company that is in the
hardware
> > business, I might be able to get them to help out in this department.
 But
> > I wanted to first check on what the possibilities are on the Apache
side.
> > In particular, does Apache have some way to accept hardware donations
and
> > have them co-located in your data center, with Apache taking care of
> > physical infrastructure, back ups, bandwidth, etc.  Is that possible
at
> > all?  Or should I be looking at some way these build machines could be
> > hosted externally?  How is this ordinarily done at Apache?
>
> It is a complicated subject, and I will just outline some of the
> parameters.  But first I will say that I personally arranged (OK, with
> considerable backing and support from my management) to loan the ASF
> four new machines a number of years back on extended loan and these
> machines were only recently returned after they exceeded their life
> expectancy.  These machines were used for core and critical functions
> for the ASF.
>
> Outright donations have also been accepted from other companies.
>
> That being said, the conversation can not start from a perspective of
> "this is what I have to offer, can you make use of it?"  Instead it
> needs to start from a perspective of what the ASF needs and how best
> to accommodate those needs.  A specific point that is important to
> realize is that our system administrative staff understandably wishes
> to constrain the number of different types of operating systems that
> they use.

OK.  This is encouraging.  We can map out the details in the project, see
if we have a hardware gap, and explore solutions at this point.  I just
wanted to point out, for the benefit of the IPMC, that although a concern
was earlier raised about build machine resources, we have identified now
two possible ways of addressing it.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM,  <ro...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> I've heard some valid concerns about hardware resources needed to build
> OpenOffice.  Since I just happen to know a company that is in the hardware
> business, I might be able to get them to help out in this department.  But
> I wanted to first check on what the possibilities are on the Apache side.
> In particular, does Apache have some way to accept hardware donations and
> have them co-located in your data center, with Apache taking care of
> physical infrastructure, back ups, bandwidth, etc.  Is that possible at
> all?  Or should I be looking at some way these build machines could be
> hosted externally?  How is this ordinarily done at Apache?

It is a complicated subject, and I will just outline some of the
parameters.  But first I will say that I personally arranged (OK, with
considerable backing and support from my management) to loan the ASF
four new machines a number of years back on extended loan and these
machines were only recently returned after they exceeded their life
expectancy.  These machines were used for core and critical functions
for the ASF.

Outright donations have also been accepted from other companies.

That being said, the conversation can not start from a perspective of
"this is what I have to offer, can you make use of it?"  Instead it
needs to start from a perspective of what the ASF needs and how best
to accommodate those needs.  A specific point that is important to
realize is that our system administrative staff understandably wishes
to constrain the number of different types of operating systems that
they use.

> Regards,
>
> -Rob

- Sam Ruby