Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by dealmaker <vk...@yahoo.com> on 2008/08/13 02:10:31 UTC

How to Query for Documents' Anchor Text?

Hi,
  I know that there is already a anchor text feature in lucene that
index/query all anchor text that leads to a document I want.  But it is not
what I am looking for.  I want to index/query for all available anchor text
in all document/ a subset of documents, is there already some kind of plugin
or parser that do this?

e.g. I write a query: "wep wireless card", it should return all the anchor
text in all the documents that are related to wep, wireless and card.

Thanks.

RE: How to Query for Documents' Anchor Text?

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi dealmaker,

The java-dev mailing list is devoted to discussion of the *development* of Lucene.  In the future, please use the java-user mailing list for questions about *using* Lucene.

If by "anchor text" you mean HTML <a href="...">anchor text</a>, then you must make sure that you index this text in its own field - AFAIK, Lucene doesn't have the native capability to do this - you must write this functionality yourself.

To pull out terms from the "anchor text" field once you have a set of documents you want to look at (e.g. as a result of a search), use Lucene's Term Vectors feature.

At index time, use the Field constructor that takes in a Field.TermVector specifier:

<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_2/api/org/apache/lucene/document/Field.html#Field(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String,%20org.apache.lucene.document.Field.Store,%20org.apache.lucene.document.Field.Index,%20org.apache.lucene.document.Field.TermVector)>

Once you have created an index with Term Vectors, you will be able to access any documents' terms along with their frequencies, using IndexReader.getTermFreqVector():

<http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_2/api/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.html#getTermFreqVector(int,%20java.lang.String)>

Steve