Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adam Smith <aj...@cornell.edu> on 2001/09/14 18:50:46 UTC

why 404 error?

This is probably a very simple problem, but I can't seem to figure it out. I
am trying to run a minimal struts example to become familiar with it: I have
an action class called loginPatron that simply forwards to a jsp without
doing anything else. My web.xml, struts-config.xml and action class all look
identical to the struts examples, except for the obvious modifications for
my application. After looking at it all morning, I can't seem to see
anything wrong, yet I get the following error from tomcat's standard output
when accessing http://localhost:8080/mycontents/loginPatron.do:

2001-09-14 12:29:45 - Ctx(/mycontents) : Class not found: action
2001-09-14 12:29:45 - Ctx(/mycontents) : Status code:404 request:R(
/mycontents
+ /loginPatron.do + null) msg:null
2001-09-14 12:29:57 - Ctx() : Status code:404 request:R(  + /loginPatron.do
+ nu
ll) msg:null
2001-09-14 12:30:05 - Ctx() : Status code:404 request:R(  + /loginPatron.do
+ nu
ll) msg:null

The servlet log file does not indicate an error. It looks like the
application was loaded, the mappings made, etc.

>From searching this list's archives, I made sure that the following was
true:

-- the struts.jar file is not in the tomcat or system classpath, but it is
in the WEB-INF/lib directory of the application (although it looks like
tomcat does not see it when loading the application?).
-- the action class is in the WEB-INF/classes directory, and does not
reference any other classes, except those in the import statements as
indicated in the struts example.

The only other thing that looks wierd is this from tomcat's standard output:

2001-09-14 12:29:01 - AutoWebApp: Auto-Adding DEFAULT:/mycontents
2001-09-14 12:29:02 - Ctx(/mycontents) : Removing duplicate servlet action
Servl
etH action(SW (null CN=org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet))

I am currently getting this error on Windows 2000 running Struts 1.0 and
Tomcat 3.3 b2. I am trying this version of tomcat after receiving a very
similar error with version 3.2.

Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

   Adam Smith
   ajs17@cornell.edu