Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/03/26 12:05:00 UTC

Creating announce@ lists by default

Incubator,

Is there a reason we don't recommend podlings create an announce@ list by
default?

I am under the impression that having a low-volume, high-signal
announcement channel is generally beneficial to most projects that try it.
And comes with almost zero Infra overhead.

I had a chat about this recently with Daniel Shahaf, and he was the one to
suggest we incubate projects with this list from the outset.

Thoughts on this?

NS

Re: Creating announce@ lists by default

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, March 26, 2013, Andrei Savu wrote:

> I think we should see this as option and let the podling decide.
>
> In some cases it's useful but most of time it's enough if you filter
> the dev / user lists for messages that contain ANNOUNCE in the subject
> line.

+1

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...We already have a Apache wide announce list, which is used for release
> announcements and probably can or is already used for the other things
> you mentioned....

-Bertrand

Re: Creating announce@ lists by default

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013, at 12:21 PM, Luciano Resende wrote:
> If I was the press/analyst folks or security/sysadmin folks, I'd
> probably prefer to receive all these announcements over one list, then
> having to figure out every announcement list for each apache project
> in use in my infrastructure or that I'm interested in.

/me puts on my former press hat

It depends a lot on whether I cover all open source or a specific
project. If I care only about one or two Apache projects, I probably
don't want to get all Apache announcements. Folks who care/write about
OpenOffice, for instance, aren't going to necessarily want announcements
about Whirr or Hadoop.

AFAIC, having project-specific announce lists is good practice.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: Creating announce@ lists by default

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Luciano, release announcements and security disclosures.
>
> Jordan, can you clarify what you understand by "be maintained"? Just to be
> clear, this is a one time operation, and as far as I know, comes with no
> maintenance costs whatsoever. So the "too much" part of "too much for
> little gain" doesn't appear to make sense.
>
> The announce@ list is typically subscribed to by press/analyst folks,
> security/sysadmin folks, and people interested in new releases but who have
> no interest in participating in the community.
>
> I believe a low-volume announcement channel like this could be beneficial
> for most projects. It certainly couldn't hurt to at least recommend/suggest
> this as a list when setting up the podling.

We already have a Apache wide announce list, which is used for release
announcements and probably can or is already used for the other things
you mentioned.

If I was the press/analyst folks or security/sysadmin folks, I'd
probably prefer to receive all these announcements over one list, then
having to figure out every announcement list for each apache project
in use in my infrastructure or that I'm interested in.

Having said that, in the case of podlings, we try to discourage even
the creation of a user list, and concentrate all the traffic in the
dev list to help build the community.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Incubator,
>
> Is there a reason we don't recommend podlings create an announce@ list by
> default?
>
> I am under the impression that having a low-volume, high-signal
> announcement channel is generally beneficial to most projects that try it.
> And comes with almost zero Infra overhead.
>
> I had a chat about this recently with Daniel Shahaf, and he was the one to
> suggest we incubate projects with this list from the outset.
>
> Thoughts on this?

> NS

What would be the contents distributed on this list ?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I am under the impression that having a low-volume, high-signal
>> announcement channel is generally beneficial to most projects that try it.
>
> I agree that such lists are useful.  I like to subscribe to individual
> announce lists for security purposes because aggregate lists like
> debian-security-announce generally lag behind upstream.  Individual dev lists
> and announce@a.o are too high traffic and programming text-based filters is
> tricky because conventions like "ANNOUNCE" are not adhered to 100% of the
> time.

Do the general announce list lag behind because there are individual lists ?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
"Wade" might be a little OTT. ;) I think the doc is too terse, if anything.
(But actually, I think it strikes the balance very well.)

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (398J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 great work Marvin.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Nice. Thanks Marvin!

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Marvin,

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Hey Marvin,

Did you get anywhere with this?

Thanks,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
I really like this idea, Marvin. If you're gonna run with it, I'll take a
step back.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 27 March 2013 18:37, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> wrote:

> My personal experience: There are a few people registered to
> announce@apache.org, but there is a low registration rate for the
> respective subproject lists. At least not for most projects.

That's to be expected, though, right? We have something like 130 TLPs. Even
if a TLP has a respectable amount of press/analysts/end-users subscribing
to the announcement list, we'd not expect that number to be more than the
overall foundation announcement list, which caters to a much bigger
audience.

> Thus said: if you would create an announce list for all projects and send
> the ANN mails only to those lists, then only 30% of the audience will
> receive it.
> Some projects don't even maintain separated dev and users lists. Thus I
> believe forcing an ann list for each and every project is an overkill.

I don't believe we should force an announce@ list on anybody. But I do
think it might be a good idea to mention a few of the standard lists that
projects might consider requesting.

user@, dev@, announce@, etc. commits@ is required. When you're community
grows, you may want to consider tickets@, and general@, etc. CloudStack had
marketing@ before we graduated, even.

> Oh, and while we are at it: some a.o projects have users@project.a.o(plural) and others have user@project.a.o(singular). We should at least unify this for the upcoming podlings pretty
> please ;)

Sounds sensible.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
My personal experience: There are a few people registered to announce@apache.org, but there is a low registration rate for the respective subproject lists. At least not for most projects.

Thus said: if you would create an announce list for all projects and send the ANN mails only to those lists, then only 30% of the audience will receive it.
Some projects don't even maintain separated dev and users lists. Thus I believe forcing an ann list for each and every project is an overkill.

Oh, and while we are at it: some a.o projects have users@project.a.o (plural) and others have user@project.a.o (singular). We should at least unify this for the upcoming podlings pretty please ;)

just my $2E-2

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Putting it in policy is probably as close as we can get to automation. ;)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27 March 2013 17:23, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
>> So we just set out a policy for podlings to follow that says something
>> like: if you use a project-specific announce@ list, anything you send to it
>> must also be copied to announce@apache.org, and vice-versa.
>>
>> This is how I expect all announce lists to be used.
>>

> Is there a way to automate what you just said ? Assuming the same
> restrictions to send announcements applies to both announce@ and
> project-announce@,

I don't know if announce@project.a.o has the same restrictions.
I've not found an example of a non-ASF address posting to such a list,
but that does not mean it's not possible.

There may be good reasons for *sometimes* not copying announce@ASF.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 27 March 2013 17:15, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I found that sending a separate e-mail to announce@a.o was
> useful for two reasons:
> - more likely to get bounces; wanted to distinguish those from TLP list
> bounces
> - people sometime reply all
> - announce@a.o requires an ASF address; I use GMail for TLP subscriptions
>
> So there was usually a short lag between the TLP announce and the ASF
> announce

Makes sense.

> I'm concerned that having local announce lists will cause a drop in

valid traffic on the ASF announce list.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27 March 2013 16:48, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 27 March 2013 16:28, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Do the general announce list lag behind because there are individual lists
>> ?
>>

> I see no reason why they would.

Well, I found that sending a separate e-mail to announce@a.o was
useful for two reasons:
- more likely to get bounces; wanted to distinguish those from TLP list bounces
- people sometime reply all
- announce@a.o requires an ASF address; I use GMail for TLP subscriptions

So there was usually a short lag between the TLP announce and the ASF announce.

As mentioned above, ASF announce is stricter about the mail sender,
which might put some off.

There are definitely release announcements that are not copied to the
announce@a.o list already (e.g. Maven plugins aren't usually announced
there)

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Bertrand, yes, I am not sold on the idea of doing it by default. But
> perhaps sort of advisory, highlighting it as an option, and giving reasons
> why it might be a good idea for some projects?

Yes, sounds good to me if it's just a suggestion.

> What would I have to do to add that? If I prepare a patch to the docs,
> would it be CTR or RTC?

If if it's just a suggestion I'd say CTR.

-Bertrand

Re: Creating announce@ lists by default

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.