Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Martin A. Brooks" <ma...@hinterlands.org> on 2004/12/14 18:10:39 UTC

closing a repository

Hi

Is there any reason why svn copy shouldn't allow a repository (with all
history) to be cloned?

I was given this shortcoming in response to a pro-svn email I wrote, and
the point is valid.

Perhaps a specific 'svn clone' command could be implemented, and a repo
can have the config setting "AllowClones = yes"?

Regards

Mart.

Re: closing a repository

Posted by "Martin A. Brooks" <ma...@hinterlands.org>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Sounds like what you really want is 'svnadmin dump' to become just
>
>'svn dump' :-).

Yes, that'd do nicely.

Mart.

Re: closing a repository

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Martin A. Brooks" <ma...@hinterlands.org> writes:
> I suppose you could.  If you have access to a repository (even just
> read only) then you can view all the history and contents anyway.  Why
> not have a way of copying said repository to your local disk?

Sounds like what you really want is 'svnadmin dump' to become just
'svn dump' :-).  I'm not sure how that would interact with our authz
system(s), but it could be done.  I'm not sure how high a priority it
would be relative to other features, though, especially since you
could easily implement it with a server-side CGI script or other
workaround.

Re: closing a repository

Posted by "Martin A. Brooks" <ma...@hinterlands.org>.

Re: closing a repository

Posted by Glenn Sieb <ge...@cibernet.com>.
Martin A. Brooks said the following on 12/14/2004 2:34 PM:

>> If you mean you're using this remotely, then using a combination of
>> ssh, bzip2 and svandmin dump/load, you'll be fine.
>
> svnadmin only works on local repositories.  Supposing the repo is only
> available via http?
>
> (The subject should have been "cloning" not "closing").

I guess part of me reacts to this by wanting to know:

Why don't you ask the administrator of the box to do it for you?

Just curious,
Best,
Glenn

Re: closing a repository

Posted by "Martin A. Brooks" <ma...@hinterlands.org>.

RE: closing a repository

Posted by Jim Geist <ji...@lifesim.com>.

Actually, if the repository is live, shouldn't you use svnadmin hotcopy?

Re: closing a repository

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.