Posted to user@ode.apache.org by ZHAO Wenfeng <zh...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/06 10:19:16 UTC

Must BPEL complex variable initialization use extension mechanisms?

According to WS-BPEL(Version 2.0) specification, it seems that the "TII -> EII" type of copy can be used to initialize a complex variable - at least to create its first children. The section "8.4.2. Replacement Logic of Copy Operations" says(P.70):
  "To replace the destination content:
     If the destination is an EII, all [children] properties (if any) are removed and the source content TII is added as the child of the EII. "

But ODE 2.0 seems not to comply with it because in my case the assignment:
      <copy>
        <from><literal><svc01:elemC xmlns:svc01="http://example.com/service01.wsdl"/></literal></from>
        <to>$_b</to>
      </copy>
      <copy xmlns:svc01="http://example.com/service01.wsdl">
        <from>$_c</from>
        <to>$_b/svc01:elemC</to>
      </copy>
will incur selectionFailure:
ERROR - GeronimoLog.error(104) | Assignment Fault: {http://docs.oasis-open.org/w
sbpel/2.0/process/executable}selectionFailure,lineNo=98,faultExplanation={http:/
/docs.oasis-open.org/wsbpel/2.0/process/executable}selectionFailure: No results
for expression: {OXPath10Expression $_b/svc01:elemC}

But alternatively, using the XPath extention fuction insert-as-last-into() provided by ODE, the above initialization can be accomplished.

The version of ODE I use is ODE 2.0 Build #87 (2009-1-8 2:25:04). The declaration of the variables is as:
  <variables xmlns:ws0="http://example.com/service01.wsdl">
    ... ...
    <variable name="_a" element="ws0:elemA" />
    <variable name="_b" element="ws0:elemB" />
    <variable name="_c" element="ws0:elemC" />
    <variable name="_a2" element="ws0:elemA2" />
  </variables>
And the schema is:
       <schema targetNamespace="http://example.com/service01.wsdl"
              xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
              elementFormDefault="qualified">
           ... ...
           <element name="ResultInfo">
              <complexType>
                  <sequence>
                     <element name="elemA">
                        <complexType>
                            <sequence>
                               <element name="elemB">
                                  <complexType>
                                      <sequence>
                                         <element name="elemC" type="string" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
                                      </sequence>
                                  </complexType>
                               </element>
                            </sequence>
                        </complexType>
                     </element>
                     <element name="elemA2" type="string"/>
                  </sequence>
              </complexType>
           </element>
       </schema>
The complete file set is in the attachment.

If this disagreement in ODE is not a bug but a intentional design, I guess the reason is that, according to WS-BPEL, even if it is supported, only the first child can be created and the creation of other children must appeal to some extension mechanism.  See "8.4 Assignment"(P.62):
    "The fifth from-spec variant returns values as if it were a from-spec that selects the children of the <literal> element in the WS-BPEL source code. [SA00038] The return value MUST be a *single* EII or Text Information Item (TII) only."

Am I right?

Thanks & Regards
Wenfeng

----------
ZHAO Wenfeng
http://www.bupt.edu.cn

Re: Must BPEL complex variable initialization use extension mechanisms?

Posted by Wenfeng ZHAO <zh...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your deteiled reply which solved my confusion completely.

Yes the first choice you pointed out is proper to initialize a complex
variable. I had falsely understood the relation between "literal
variant of copy" and "TII -> EII".

As to my example, the first copy should be:
      <copy>
        <from><literal>
          <svc01:elemB xmlns:svc01="http://example.com/service01.wsdl">
            <svc01:elemC/>
          </svc01:elemB>
        </literal></from>
        <to>$_b</to>
      </copy>
rather than
      <copy>
        <from><literal><svc01:elemC
xmlns:svc01="http://example.com/service01.wsdl"/></literal></from>
        <to>$_b</to>
      </copy>

Hope it helpful to others.

Thanks again.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Ford, Mark <ma...@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>                            </sequence>
>                        </complexType>
>                     </element>
>                     <element name="elemA2" type="string"/>
>                  </sequence>
>              </complexType>
>           </element>
>       </schema>
> The complete file set is in the attachment.
>

> If this disagreement in ODE is not a bug but a intentional design, I guess the reason is that, according to WS-BPEL, even if it is supported, only the first child can be created and the creation of other children must appeal to some extension mechanism.  See "8.4 Assignment"(P.62):
>    "The fifth from-spec variant returns values as if it were a from-spec that selects the children of the <literal> element in the WS-BPEL source code. [SA00038] The return value MUST be a *single* EII or Text Information Item (TII) only."

Regards
Wenfeng