Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2007/09/20 07:19:29 UTC

[ApacheDS] extendedSubtreeSpecification

Ersin,

I got an interesting idea while thinking about subtrees and specifications.
As you know we complied
up until recently strictly with the X.500 administrative model with respect
to subtreeSpecifications.  The
changes we added to handle refinements which were filters broke away from
X.500 in many ways.

I was just thinking that it may be possible to use an
extendedSubtreeSpecification attribute which
extends a subtreeSpecification.  However the only problem with this is the
fact that the attributeType
subtyping another cannot switch the SYNTAX of the AT.  This is what I always
thought but perhaps
I am wrong (I hope) but if I am wrong I think we can leverage AT extension
while remaining compliant.

Basically we can allow our subentry objectClasses to include
extendedSubtreeSpecifications instead
of just the usual subtreeSpecification.

WDYT?

Alex

Re: [ApacheDS] extendedSubtreeSpecification

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Yes yes but this is not valid syntax for a subtreeSpecification according to
X.500.  It's not a "syntax refinement" (not subtreeRefinement).  Basically
our interpretation will make tools dealing with SSs sh*t themselves.

Alex

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin Er
http://www.ersin-er.name

Re: [ApacheDS] extendedSubtreeSpecification

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Yep that's what I've been trying to say:

    "Ok we need to talk to Steven Legg who's working on those admin model
     drafts currently about this. It's very important that we align with the
new
     specifications which will emerge."

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin Er
http://www.ersin-er.name

Re: [ApacheDS] extendedSubtreeSpecification

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin Er
http://www.ersin-er.name

Re: [ApacheDS] extendedSubtreeSpecification

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin Er
http://www.ersin-er.name

Re: [ApacheDS] extendedSubtreeSpecification

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Ersin Er