Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by William Pierce <ev...@hotmail.com> on 2009/09/14 03:21:49 UTC

When to optimize?

Folks:

Are there good rules of thumb for when to optimize?  We have a large index
consisting of approx 7M documents and we currently have it set to optimize
once a day.  But sometimes there are very few changes that have been
committed during a day and it seems like a waste to optimize (esp. since our
servers are pretty well loaded).

So I was looking to get some good rules of thumb for when it makes sense to
optimize:   Optimize when x% of the documents have been changed since the
last optimize or some such.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-- Bill

Re: When to optimize?

Posted by Matt Weber <ma...@mattweber.org>.
I would say once a day is a pretty good rule of thumb.  If you think
this is a bit much and if you have few updates you can probably back
that off to once every couple days to once a week.  However, if you
have a large batch update or your query performance starts to degrade,
you will need to optimize your index.

Thanks,

Matt Weber