Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/06/17 19:18:57 UTC

apache_1.2b11 src/Makefile.tmpl (fwd)

Another lib ordering sufferer..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:43:01 +0200
From: Harm van Houten <Ha...@mch.sni.de>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: apache_1.2b11 src/Makefile.tmpl

Hello,
FILE: src/Makefile.tmpl    LINE: 29    RELEASE: apache 1.2b11
if possible, please change the sequence of libraries within the
rule
httpd: $(REGLIB) $(OBJS)
	$(CC) $(LFLAGS)  -o httpd $(OBJS) $(LIBS) $(REGLIB)
into
httpd: $(REGLIB) $(OBJS)
	$(CC) $(LFLAGS)  -o httpd $(OBJS) $(REGLIB) $(LIBS)

this is necessary for SINIX and Reliant Unix from SNI, if
you want to use regex/libregex.a ( -lc is Part of $(LIBS) and
contains regcomp ) and I think it wont make
any trouble to other kinds of unix.

Harm

--
| ]  [     ]  [   Harm Van Houten  voice:+49 89 636 40659 fax:40638   |
| +--+-\ /-+--+   Internet:harm.van_houten@mch.sni.de NERV:houten.muc |

Re: apache_1.2b11 src/Makefile.tmpl (fwd)

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> Don't know about this specific problem, but one way around this
> library dependency stuff, is to repeat a library again, so, if you
> have a module in LIBS that you want taken in preference to one in
> REGLIB, but REGLIB has a dependency on some modules in LIBS, you
> can specify the link line as:
>
> $(CC) $(LFLAGS)  -o httpd $(OBJS) $(LIBS) $(REGLIB) $(LIBS)

True, but this isn't even that complex.  Simply swapping the order of
$(LIBS) and $(REGLIB) is the correct solution.  The only caveat being that
it breaks mod_perl for unexplained reasons.

-Rasmus

Re: apache_1.2b11 src/Makefile.tmpl (fwd)

Posted by Ambarish Malpani <am...@isecurity.com>.
Don't know about this specific problem, but one way around this
library dependency stuff, is to repeat a library again, so, if you
have a module in LIBS that you want taken in preference to one in
REGLIB, but REGLIB has a dependency on some modules in LIBS, you
can specify the link line as:

$(CC) $(LFLAGS)  -o httpd $(OBJS) $(LIBS) $(REGLIB) $(LIBS)

(assuming that all the right stuff is in independent C files....)

Ambarish

Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> >       $(CC) $(LFLAGS)  -o httpd $(OBJS) $(LIBS) $(REGLIB)
> > into
> > httpd: $(REGLIB) $(OBJS)
> >       $(CC) $(LFLAGS)  -o httpd $(OBJS) $(REGLIB) $(LIBS)
> >
> > this is necessary for SINIX and Reliant Unix from SNI, if
> > you want to use regex/libregex.a ( -lc is Part of $(LIBS) and
> > contains regcomp ) and I think it wont make
> > any trouble to other kinds of unix.
>
> This one is going to keep biting us, and we are going to have to make the
> change.  Doug is just going to have to figure out why it is breaking
> mod_perl, or work around it somehow.  I keep getting lots of email about
> this one as it relates to mod_php.
>
> -Rasmus

Ambarish Malpani
Architect					       (408) 738-2040
ValiCert, Inc.				      http://www.valicert.com
333 W. El Camino Real, Suite 270
Sunnyvale, CA 94087

Re: apache_1.2b11 src/Makefile.tmpl (fwd)

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.