Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@apache.org> on 2014/12/24 14:20:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

>Oops. Snappy contains 1.6 java bytecode, which breaks the build on maven plugins. We need to upgrade to 1.6; I'm taking this to the mailing list :)

Last time discussed this we established a consensus to establish 3.0.5
(maybe 3.0.6) as a minimum baseline for the 3.x range of plugins.

This 3.0.X has a 1.5 java requirement.  The problem is that *everyone*
is moving to 1.6 and it's getting increasingly hard to maintain a 1.5
code base. As an example, I have been moving code to apache commons,
but we're basically unable to use this effort because commons is now
1.6. alternately I need to backport the code in a
"source-level-shading", but these things are getting silly.

I propose the following:

Make the 3.x line of plugins java 1.6+ only.
Release all shared utilities in 1.6 versions in the 3.x version range.
3.0.X maven versions stay "forever" on the 2.x line of plugins and jdk 1.5.
The most recent core version moves defaults to the 3.x range of plugins.
The parent poms migrate to 3.x range some time in the near future.

Keeping 3.0.x fixes to a minuimum (and "critical" stuff) only, will
ensure that we can still stay 1.5 compatible here.

Kristian

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le dimanche 28 décembre 2014 21:04:50 Robert Scholte a écrit :
> Op Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:37:47 +0100 schreef Kristian Rosenvold
>
> <kr...@gmail.com>:
> > I'll sumarize what appears to be our consensus so far.
> >
> > Update to jdk 6.0 "at will", but please be sure that we're not leaving
> > the last 1.5 version in a regressed state.
> > Version number indicates minimum maven version, so a simple JDK
> > upgrade only mandates a minor version update.
> > We are also in a situation a lot of code will be migrating to 3.0.5
> > minimum real soon now.
>
> When talking about migrating plugins, we should make the plugins 3.0(.x)
> compatible, so we should use migrate to 3.0 (the lowest) and not 3.0.5
> (the latest).
> Most important: for the plugins it doesn't matter; I'm not aware of any
> code where it makes any difference.
> This should give us enough space to remove all M2 hacks with reflections,
> etc.
> And this makes it a lot easier to communicate with the community by just
> saying: maven-plugins 3.x are compatible with all Maven3 distributions.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
> personnally, I use invoker: no compatibility problems

I try to make unit tests when I can make unit tests. it's a religion,
or a disease. I agree that falling back to the invoker is the
fallback.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Op Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:37:47 +0100 schreef Kristian Rosenvold <
> kristian.rosenvold@gmail.com>:
>
>  I'll sumarize what appears to be our consensus so far.
>>
>> Update to jdk 6.0 "at will", but please be sure that we're not leaving
>> the last 1.5 version in a regressed state.
>> Version number indicates minimum maven version, so a simple JDK
>> upgrade only mandates a minor version update.
>> We are also in a situation a lot of code will be migrating to 3.0.5
>> minimum real soon now.
>>

> When talking about migrating plugins, we should make the plugins 3.0(.x)
> compatible, so we should use migrate to 3.0 (the lowest) and not 3.0.5 (the
> latest).
> Most important: for the plugins it doesn't matter; I'm not aware of any
> code where it makes any difference.
> This should give us enough space to remove all M2 hacks with reflections,
> etc.
> And this makes it a lot easier to communicate with the community by just
> saying: maven-plugins 3.x are compatible with all Maven3 distributions.

Very much +1 on this. The discussion around requiring 3.0.5 was to force
the users to update to a Maven version which didn't have a specific bug or
similar. I personally don't think we should use the minimum Maven version
for that but strictly go for technical reasons (such as API) and in that
case v 3.0 should be enough.

/Anders

>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHECKSTYLE#selectedTab=com.atlassian.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi Kristian,

<kr...@apache.org> wrote:
>>Oops. Snappy contains 1.6 java bytecode, which breaks the build on maven plugins. We need to upgrade to 1.6; I'm taking this to the mailing list :)
>
> Last time discussed this we established a consensus to establish 3.0.5
> (maybe 3.0.6) as a minimum baseline for the 3.x range of plugins.
>
> This 3.0.X has a 1.5 java requirement.  The problem is that *everyone*
> is moving to 1.6 and it's getting increasingly hard to maintain a 1.5
> code base. As an example, I have been moving code to apache commons,
> but we're basically unable to use this effort because commons is now
> 1.6. alternately I need to backport the code in a
> "source-level-shading", but these things are getting silly.
>
> I propose the following:
>
> Make the 3.x line of plugins java 1.6+ only.
> Release all shared utilities in 1.6 versions in the 3.x version range.
> 3.0.X maven versions stay "forever" on the 2.x line of plugins and jdk 1.5.
> The most recent core version moves defaults to the 3.x range of plugins.
> The parent poms migrate to 3.x range some time in the near future.
>
> Keeping 3.0.x fixes to a minuimum (and "critical" stuff) only, will
> ensure that we can still stay 1.5 compatible here.
>

> Kristian

>> I don't have access to push a plexus-archiver release, could you
>> please do the honors.
>>
>> Also, looks like my splitting job left some work behind in terms of
>> the parent pom.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

Posted by Lennart Jörelid <le...@gmail.com>.
First:  +1 for 1.6 minimum.

Second: I feel we need to take a more strategic look at java in general and
plugin mechanics & dependencies in particular. 1.6 is deprecated since a
few years - and while its bytecode runs fine on a JDK 8 runtime, any
implicit dependencies and internal reflection magic relies on the horrible
fact that the classpath is global and anything is accessible.

This is not the case (or should not be the case) when running on a Java 9
runtime. As I'm sure you are aware, attempting to run maven and its plugins
in an OSGi environment is a rather complex, and currently rather futile,
exercise due to the modularized nature of the classloader as well as the
runtime in general. While there are certainly differences between OSGi and
Java 9 as far as the runtime and classloading mechanics go, the
similarities in modularization are decently clear.

So ... how do we ensure that our plugins can work in a JDK 9 runtime
environment (in addition to JDK 6 - 8 RTs)?
Do we create a shared utility to generate correct module-info.java files?
What are your thoughts on the upcoming - substantially bigger - change when
we need to be compliant with the module mechanics of Java 9?

+==============================+

+==============================+

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

(Hoping we can get up to 1.7 soon too)

On Wednesday, 24 December 2014, Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@apache.org>
wrote:

> >Oops. Snappy contains 1.6 java bytecode, which breaks the build on maven
> plugins. We need to upgrade to 1.6; I'm taking this to the mailing list :)
>
> Last time discussed this we established a consensus to establish 3.0.5
> (maybe 3.0.6) as a minimum baseline for the 3.x range of plugins.
>
> This 3.0.X has a 1.5 java requirement.  The problem is that *everyone*
> is moving to 1.6 and it's getting increasingly hard to maintain a 1.5
> code base. As an example, I have been moving code to apache commons,
> but we're basically unable to use this effort because commons is now
> 1.6. alternately I need to backport the code in a
> "source-level-shading", but these things are getting silly.
>
> I propose the following:
>
> Make the 3.x line of plugins java 1.6+ only.
> Release all shared utilities in 1.6 versions in the 3.x version range.
> 3.0.X maven versions stay "forever" on the 2.x line of plugins and jdk 1.5.
> The most recent core version moves defaults to the 3.x range of plugins.
> The parent poms migrate to 3.x range some time in the near future.
>
> Keeping 3.0.x fixes to a minuimum (and "critical" stuff) only, will
> ensure that we can still stay 1.5 compatible here.
>

> Kristian

> <javascript:;>>:
> > I don't have access to push a plexus-archiver release, could you
> > please do the honors.
> >
> > Also, looks like my splitting job left some work behind in terms of
> > the parent pom.

Sent from my phone

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

Posted by Andreas Gudian <an...@gmail.com>.
Did we already cover what we want to keep supporting via Toolchains?

We would have to take some care in Surefire if we wanted to keep some
support for <1.6 when using toolchains or when allowing users to configure
a different JVM.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
JDK1.5 and 1.6 are unsupported anymore.
JDK 1.7 is still long alive and under maintenance.
The Java SE 7 API won't be taken back due to whatever JVM fault :))

The JDK 8 is alive too short.

I don't see any reason why the default Maven plugins have to go with awful
1.5 or 1.6.
We can freely switch to javac 1.7 in default plugins and/or upgrade the
Maven dist to 3.3.1.

One way or another, any build can still use the sniffer plugin to check 1.5
signatures on the top of JDK7 or JDK8.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move everything to 1.6, take 2 (was: Re: I can't make a release ...)

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
We already discussed this so many times....
But seriously with 2015 coming really soon I believe it's time.
Finally so many years after java 1.5 EOL! :-)

--
Olivier

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
I assume that anyone wishing for 1.7 will also accept 1.6.

I would really just like to establish a consensus that we're leaving
1.5 in favour of 1.6. We have a certain tradition for being "last" to
leave jdk versions and I don't really mind this. It *does* become a
problem when it makes practical development of maven and their core
plugins a problem, which is where we're at.

So my key argument is really about making the pain smaller, not about
using a cool jdk version (which is 1.8 anyway, 1.7 is boring).
apache-commons just opened up for all apache committers so we can
basically move lots of our code to "better" homes if we care to.

Kristian

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

if someone really wants to stay with JDK 5, just don't update plugins to
latest and greatest

and IMHO, if we need to maintain Maven 3.0.x in parallel from 3.2.x, that's
not because of the JDK prerequisite: that's because there are problems to
upgrade some plugins because of Aether change

Regards,

Hervé