Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by rw...@mchsi.com on 2006/02/21 21:18:27 UTC

init.d Tomcat5 file modifications

Hi all,
  I am a newbie (really new) to the world of java, tomcat, etc.  I have a
medical program for teaching cases called MIRC installed on Tomcat5.5 and
Java1.5.0_06.  I installed Tomcat5.5 and the Sun JDK as they are required for
the application and I could not figure out all the references in the standard
FC4 packages.  The program works as it is supposed to and the machine is a
single purpose single processor unit.

  My problem is to make it function under /etc/init.d so it will start
automagically whenever the machine reboots [should be rare, of course!].  I have
compiled jsvc and copied the Tomcat5.sh file into /etc/init.d. My problem is
with the editing of this file.

Setup:
  Tomcat installed on:  /mirc/tomcat5  and this is CATALINA_HOME
  Java installed on:    /usr/share/jdk1.5.0_06 and JAVA_HOME defined in
                        /etc/profile
  DAEMON_HOME:      /mirc/tomcat5/bin  //I'm not sure if this is correct but
                       I think it is referring to jsvc
  tomcat5 user is present on the system

under the section of Tomcat5 labeled "#for multi instances adapt these lines" I
would leave
   TMP_DIR=/var/tmp              alone
   PID_FILE=/var/run/jsvc.pid    alone
   CATALINA_BASE=/home/tomcat5/tomcat5/jakarta-tomcat5/build    ??
              How does CATALINA-BASE differ from CATALINA_HOME??
              Can I just comment it out?

CATALINA_OPTS='-Djava.library.path=/home/jfclere/jakarta/tomcat-connectors/jni/n
ative/.libs"
CLASSPATH=\
$JAVA_HOME=/lib/tools.jar:\
             This conficts with /etc/profile.  I think it can be commented out.
$CATALINA_HOME=/bin/commons-daemon.jar:\
$CATALINA_HOME=/bin/bootstrap.jar
             These two lines can probably be excluded as they contradict
             what is exported from Tomcat5 when it starts up.

then in the '  case "$1" in
   ...I can comment out lines referring to any possibly unnecessary lines such
as $CATALINA_BASE

To those of you experienced Java users this may seem very stupid, but I am
having a heck of a time getting a handle on all the pieces and parts that need
to go together and am not making much headway looking all the disparate parts
up.

Thanks for any guidance!

Bob Hartung

Re: init.d Tomcat5 file modifications

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@verizon.net>.
rwhart@mchsi.com wrote:

>   My problem is to make it function under /etc/init.d so it will start
> automagically whenever the machine reboots [should be rare, of course!].  I have
> compiled jsvc and copied the Tomcat5.sh file into /etc/init.d. My problem is
> with the editing of this file.

Possibly these links may help somewhat:

http://www.raibledesigns.com/tomcat/boot-howto.html
http://raibledesigns.com/page/rd?anchor=setting_up_cvs_appfuse_jspwiki

I gleaned information from these two to setup Tomcat on my linux
machine, although I suspect there are much better links available for
what you need.

Glen