Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> on 2010/04/30 10:59:06 UTC

[M3] Validate is slow now, resp. when to access remote repos

Hi guys,

validating ("mvn validate") our ~400 projects with M3 I had to recognize,
that it is a lot slower compared to M2.2. Now it takes 99 secs compared to
39 secs with M2.2. Basically this is not a really important, but the reason
why raises some additionally questions.

We have some plugins that are not pinned with a fix version, since we *want*
always the newest one. This is e.g. the eclipse plugin, a private info
plugin, etc. M3 tries now to resolve all plugins defined in the pluginMgmt.
That's fine. However, why does it lookup these plugins in a reactor build
for each subproject project again? 400 useless remote accesses for each of
those plugins will slow down the complete process. Note, this happens
although I have setup an update policy of "interval:60" for the plugin
repository.

Which leads to the next question: What happens for ordinary (SNAPSHOT)
dependencies during a long running build? E.g. I need about 30mins for this
400 projects. My local build might get inconsistent if an essential SNAPSHOT
dependency is deployed by someone else during that time, because it is
grabbed as soon as it is remotely available with the current behavior.

Therefore, each artifact (plugin or dependency) should be looked up remotely
only once for each reactor build. This will also improve overall
performance. SNAPSHOTs that are created during the build itself will be
generated first anyway because of the dependency mechanism.

Regards,
Jörg