Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Harald Weidner <we...@ifi.unizh.ch> on 1997/04/10 19:20:02 UTC

config/353: undocumented incompatibility between Apache and NCSA-httpd

>Number:         353
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       undocumented incompatibility between Apache and NCSA-httpd
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Apache denies access to http://server/dir/link/, when
- link is a symbolic link to another directory, and
- this other directory contains an .htaccess file with an "Options" line NOT
  including a "FollowSymLinks" statement (even when "Indexes" is given), and
- In the global access.conf file, "Options FollowSymLinks" and "AllowOverride
  all" are set (in the relevant context).
NCSA-httpd does not.
In other words, Apache honours a non-given "FollowSymLinks" even after processing
the link; NCSA-httpd does not.
>How-To-Repeat:
Create the situation described above, and run Apache vs. NCSA-httpd over
the same webspace.

If my description is obfusicating, email me, and I send you full configuration files.
>Fix:
IMHO, this was a bug in NCSA-httpd, while Apache behaves correctly.
So, don't patch Apache, but put this problem to www.apache.org, section:
Known incompabilities to NCSA-httpd.
%0