Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Murthy Gandikota <mg...@membersedgellc.com> on 2007/09/01 08:41:59 UTC

Pluto 1.1.4 - java.lang.InstantiationException while deploying

Hi
I am testing a HelloWorld app. Here is the HelloWorld.java

package testpluto;

import javax.portlet.GenericPortlet;
import javax.portlet.RenderRequest;
import javax.portlet.RenderResponse;
import javax.portlet.PortletException;
import java.io.IOException;

import javax.servlet.*;

public class HelloWorld extends GenericPortlet {
  protected void doView(RenderRequest request,
  RenderResponse response) throws
  PortletException, IOException {
        response.setContentType("text/html");
        response.getWriter().println("Hello Portlet");
        }
}

I have successfully compiled this class and
The path to it is WEB-INF/classes/tespluto

Then I added these to the web.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
<web-app version="2.4"
         xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
<servlet>
  <servlet-name>HelloWorld</servlet-name>
     <display-name>HelloWorld Wrapper</display-name>
      <description>Automated generated
      Portlet Wrapper</description>
      <servlet-class>javax.portlet.GenericPortlet
      </servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>portlet-name</param-name>
            <param-value>HelloWorld</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <!-- <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup> -->
      <init-param>
         <param-name>portlet-class</param-name>
         <param-value>testpluto.HelloWorld
         </param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>
         <param-name>portlet-guid</param-name>
         <param-value>HelloPluto.HelloWorld
         </param-value>
      </init-param>
    <!-- <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup> -->
</servlet>
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>HelloWorld</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/hello/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

The WEB-INF/portlet.xml
<portlet-app
    xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/portlet/portlet-app_1_0.xsd"
    version="1.0"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/portlet/portlet-app_1_0.xsd
                        http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/portlet/portlet-app_1_0.xsd">
  <portlet>
      <portlet-name>HelloWorld</portlet-name>
      <display-name>Change Case Portlet</display-name>
      <portlet-class>testpluto.HelloWorld</portlet-class>
      <supports>
         <mime-type>text/html</mime-type>
         <portlet-mode>view</portlet-mode>
      </supports>
      <portlet-info>
         <title>Hello World</title>
      </portlet-info>
    <init-param>
      <name>config</name>
      <value>/WEB-INF/ptest-config.xml</value>
    </init-param>
   </portlet>

</portlet-app>

The index.jsp
<jsp:forward page="/hello">

I restarted Pluto several times and all these times when accessing
http://localhost:8080/ptest/hello

I get the following error in the Catalina.out

4    [http-8080-Processor25] ERROR org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/ptest].[HelloWorld]  - Allocate exception for servlet HelloWorld
java.lang.InstantiationException
        at sun.reflect.InstantiationExceptionConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(InstantiationExceptionConstructorAccessorImpl.java:30)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1055)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:757)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:130)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn.invoke(SingleSignOn.java:392)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I have been breaking my head over these for nearly 40 hours now.
Sorry, I don't know maven and don't intend to know at this time. I am fine with ant.
It took me a while to understand the deploy. I even tried deploying from the manager/admin screens. Still
The same result.

I'd appreciate all of the help you can give me in making this successful.

Thanks
Murthy

RE: Pluto 1.1.4 - java.lang.InstantiationException while deploying

Posted by Murthy Gandikota <mg...@membersedgellc.com>.
I could make my helloworld work after adding the page in the admin screen.
Wonder why no one mentioned that :-)

What is the difference between frames and containers? It seems whatever
is displayed on the Pluto portal can be done with frames. Am I missing
something? Can we layer containers one top of another?

Coming from a Tomcat 5.5.3 and JSP/Servlet background, Pluto 1.1.4 is
much better. So please don't get me wrong.

I'd appreciate if someone could answer my questions.

Thanks
Murthy

Posted by Murthy Gandikota <mg...@membersedgellc.com>.
Hi Ben
Many thanks for your kind clarification.
In the link I posted, the author used the term "application". I took it in the same sense as Tomcat application scope.

Meanwhile, I am trying to compile Jetspeed2 I got two error message so far:
a) The container name Jetspeed is not unique
I handled this by modifying the code as follows:
components/portal/src/java/org/apache/jetspeed/container/JetspeedPortletContainerWrapper.java:        this(pluto, containerId+Math.round(Math.random()*100000000), servletConfig, env, new Properties());

b) When everything is started up properly with apache tomcat 5.5.23 when I do http://localhost/jetspeed I get

javax.servlet.ServletException: Fatal error encountered while processing portal request: org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException: org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException: org.apache.jetspeed.pipeline.PipelineException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot call getRequestContext() before it has been created and set for this thread.
        org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.doGet(JetspeedServlet.java:280)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
        org.apache.jetspeed.engine.servlet.XXSUrlAttackFilter.doFilter(XXSUrlAttackFilter.java:52)

I don't know how to fix this.

I'd appreciate some help. Sorry for posting this Q here as I don't know where else.

Thanks
Murthy

Posted by Murthy Gandikota <mg...@membersedgellc.com>.
In my attempt to push content into portlet#B from portlet#A I have tried to use the session by following the suggestions given at http://allu.wordpress.com/category/portlets/

Here is my code in the render method of HelloWorld portlet

public void render(javax.portlet.RenderRequest request, javax.portlet.RenderResponse response) {
        response.setContentType("text/html");
        PrintWriter writer=null;
try{
        writer=response.getWriter();
        response.getWriter().println("Helloy2z Portlet" + writer);
} catch (Exception e) {};
        request.getPortletSession().setAttribute("writer", writer, PortletSession.APPLICATION_SCOPE);
        request.getPortletSession().setAttribute("hello", "there234", PortletSession.APPLICATION_SCOPE);
        PortletContext context = getPortletConfig().getPortletContext();
       context.setAttribute("hello2", "amen");
}

Here is the code in the processAction method of Portlet#B

PortletContext context = getPortletConfig().getPortletContext();
      String a=(String) context.getAttribute("hello2");

PrintWriter pw=(PrintWriter)request.getPortletSession().getAttribute("writer", PortletSession.APPLICATION_SCOPE);

String h = (String) request.getPortletSession().getAttribute("hello", PortletSession.APPLICATION_SCOPE);

Posted by Murthy Gandikota <mg...@membersedgellc.com>.

Posted by be...@netsos.com.
Probably the problem that you are having is related to:

>       <servlet-class>javax.portlet.GenericPortlet
>       </servlet-class>

This is in an incorrect way to map the servlet.  This class should be
 org.apache.pluto.core.PortletServlet.

GenericPortlet is an abstract class; this is why you get
java.lang.InstantiationException.  Even if it was concrete, you probably
get a ClassCastException because it is not a servlet.

Here is a correct mapping for Pluto's AboutPortlet taken from:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/portals/pluto/tags/pluto-1.1.4/pluto-portal/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml?view=markup

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>AboutPortlet</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.apache.pluto.core.PortletServlet</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>portlet-name</param-name>
      <param-value>AboutPortlet</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

To answer some of your other questions:

> Why an abstract class? Why not an interface?

javax.portlet.GenericPortlet provides some basic logic for holding
instances of the portlet API object and for routing requests based on the
default supported modes.  javax.portlet.Portlet is the interface in this
case; GenericPortlet is just a convenient implementation.

> Also, what is the purpose of
> org.apache.pluto.core.PortletServlet that is used in the testsuite that
> came with Pluto-1.1.4.

Pluto dispatches requests to portlets by wrapping them in
o.a.p.core.PortletServlet.  This makes it possible for them to easily take
advantage the classloading and lifecycle functionality of the servlet
container.  That is the only reason why they must be mapped in web.xml.
Usually, if you utilize the Pluto maven plugin or ant task, you should not
have to include these mappings manually.  It is good practice to use these
tools, because other containers will not be able to handle the Pluto
mappings anyhow.  Here is a good rule of thumb that could help you out
though:

Only include instances of javax.servlet.Servlet in web.xml.
Only include instances of javax.portlet.Portlet in portlet.xml.

Hope this helps,

Ben

RE: Pluto 1.1.4 - java.lang.InstantiationException while deploying

Posted by Murthy Gandikota <mg...@membersedgellc.com>.
I still get this exception:
4    [main] ERROR org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/ptest]  - Servlet /ptest threw load() exception
java.lang.InstantiationException

Here is the modified web.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
<web-app >
<taglib>
      <taglib-uri>http://java.sun.com/portlet</taglib-uri>
      <taglib-location>tld/portlet.tld</taglib-location>
   </taglib>
[...]
 <url-pattern>/PlutoInvoker/HelloWorld</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

</web-app>

Should I use JetSpeed? I thought Pluto-1.1.4 can handle invocation. Also GenericPortlet is an abstract class. HelloWorld is extending this abstract class. Is there some bug in my JRE  that disables instantiation of a class that is extending an abstract class? Guess I don't understand this concept.
Why an abstract class? Why not an interface? Also, what is the purpose of
org.apache.pluto.core.PortletServlet that is used in the testsuite that came
with Pluto-1.1.4. I tried extending HelloWorld to PortletServlet. It is not coming up with an instantiation exception, but has certain session parameters missing viz:

javax.portlet.response
javax.portlet.request
org.apache.pluto.core.method

I tried injecting these parameters in index.jsp as:
request.getSession().setAttribute("javax.portlet.response", request);
request.getSession().setAttribute("javax.portlet.request",response );
request.getSession().setAttribute("org.apache.pluto.core.method", new Integer(1));

But that didn't work. There is an InternalPortletRequest and InternalPortletResponse that get set by the Invoker.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Murthy

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.