Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Stanislav Mironov <be...@ksu.ru> on 2003/03/17 14:37:59 UTC

news fetch

Hi All!

Is there any way to feed my james news server with some groups from
external news server and vice versa?
Sort of bidirectional replication. Sort of "mirror".

--
Stanislav Mironov

RE: news fetch

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
there is no "main architect".

1/ subscribe to the developers list
2/ read this http://james.apache.org/contribute.html

3/ ask question or make your own choices
4/ submit your code.

> classnames/packages/baselines - I'm gonna do it.

Make up your own class names. Try to make them meaningful.
Look at other James services to see how their packages are organised, and do something similar. Try to have packages encapsulate logical units of functionality.

d.

Re: news fetch

Posted by Stanislav Mironov <be...@ksu.ru>.
Danny Angus wrote:

>Not currently no, but if you look at the code for FetchPOP you will see how to make a James service which regularly fetches things.
>
>If you write one and post it to the developers list I'm sure we'd be happy to include it.

I'm ready.
I'm rather new to this project so if "main architect" send me suggested

Re: news fetch

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> What would it take to do this:
>
>    <mailet match="IsNNTPMessage" class="ToNNTPRepository" />
>
> conceptually speaking?

AFAIK just confirmation that the spool/mailet pipeline doesn't depend (to a fatal extent)on mail specific headers required for mail which are optional or missing from pure NNTP messages.

RE: news fetch

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Calling NNTPRepositoryImpl.createArticle() would do it, too.  A mailet could
take a message intended for an NNTP newsgroup and call that method.  One
question is whether the Mailet API is generic enough that we can use it
right away for that purpose, or if it requires any change.  I haven't
looked.

What would it take to do this:

   <mailet match="IsNNTPMessage" class="ToNNTPRepository" />

conceptually speaking?

	--- Noel

RE: news fetch

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

RE: news fetch

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

RE: news fetch

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

RE: news fetch

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Not at this time, but that should change with James v3.  The limitation is
in the NNTP code, which is self-contained rather than using a pipeline.

	--- Noel