Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by "Luta, Raphael (VUN)" <Ra...@groupvu.Com> on 2003/12/18 09:28:49 UTC

RE : newbie: apache license question

Yes, it's correct.
As long as you fullfill the conditions (ie mainly that you publicly state
that
your product is derived from Apache Jetspeed) you're free to package, modify
and
resell Jetspeed for your own profit.

The ASF won't charge you a cent, but we'll be expecting some bug fixes and
generally applicable enhancement patches :)

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/

Vivendi Universal Disclaimer - HTTP://www.vivendiUniversal.com:
material of Vivendi Universal which is for the exclusive use of the
individual designated above as the recipient. Any review, retransmission,
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact immediately
the sender by returning e-mail and delete the material from any computer.
If you are not the specified recipient, you are hereby notified that all
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or action taken on the basis of
this message is prohibited.

RE: RE : newbie: apache license question

Posted by Tim Reilly <ti...@consultant.com>.
See license-faq
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#WhatDoesItMEAN
"You may distribute the result under a different licence, but you need to
acknowledge the use of the Foundation's software."

<snippet>
Q: I've made improvements to the Apache code; may I distribute the modified
result?
A: Absolutely -- subject to the terms of the Apache licence, of course. You
can give your modified code away for free,
*or sell it*,
or keep it to yourself, or whatever you like. Just remember that the
original code is still covered by the Apache licence and you must comply
with its terms. Even if you change every single line of the Apache code
you're using, the result is still based on the Foundation's licensed code.
*You may distribute the result under a different licence, but you need to
acknowledge the use of the Foundation's software.*
To do otherwise would be stealing.
If you think your changes would be found useful by others, though, we do
encourage you to submit them to the appropriate Apache project for possible
inclusion.
</snippet>

Hope that helps
-TR