Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2019/05/03 20:30:39 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Documentation Hackathons at ApacheCon

Hi All

Recently with the Google Season of Docs, quite a few of our projects were interested in applying to get some help with their documentation, so I’m thinking, what if we try and add some sort of documentation section to our ApacheCon hackathons.

If we have enough people from a project community we could start at a very basic level e.g writing up some install or very basic getting started docs.

Another idea is that the projects who weren’t successful in getting a technical writer with Season of Docs, bring their idea and have a hackathon or Birds of a Feather session during ApacheCon to plan, prepare or write something that could help.

At one of the previous open source summits  I attended I saw a presentation on what they called ‘Book Sprints’ where a group of people got together for a fixed time period and then wrote the documentation and pubished it.  While we may not have the same time frame, perhaps doing at least a documentation proof of concept could be interesting for both Las Vegas and Berlin.

What do people think?

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [DISCUSSION] Documentation Hackathons at ApacheCon

Posted by Sharan F <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Kevin

Not yet. Let's wait to see if we get any responses on this before blocking
any time slots.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi All

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
+1 from me as well, and I'll be at ApacheCon NA to help out. Are there
steps to take now, like asking in the projects to see which of your ideas
fits best? I would guess the BoF+hackathon between all the projects from
GSoD would be cool. Worst case, you have too many people writing docs in a
room...

*From: *Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>
*Date: *Fri, May 3, 2019 at 1:30 PM
*To: * <de...@community.apache.org>