Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2009/06/17 20:22:50 UTC

Final destination of RAT

I attended the board meeting today as a guest. One of the issues
discussed was where should RAT graduate to.

The general consensus of the board is that this is not a board
concern, but that they have no objection, in principle, for it to be a
top level project. So, my question as mentor is does the RAT project
have any concerns about being a TLP?

Another possibility would be to enter into an infrastructure project.
Any thoughts about that?

Note, the discussion was general in nature and was a response to the
comment in the board report "The biggest problem that needs to be
resolved before graduation is final
destination."

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Re: Final destination of RAT

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
2009/6/17 Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> I attended the board meeting today as a guest. One of the issues
>> discussed was where should RAT graduate to.
>>
>> The general consensus of the board is that this is not a board
>> concern, but that they have no objection, in principle, for it to be a
>> top level project. So, my question as mentor is does the RAT project
>> have any concerns about being a TLP?
>
> IMHO though RAT would be viable as a sub-project, the development
> community is too small for a TLP

That was not (necessarily) an issue as far as the board were
concerned. However, I agree with you.

>> Another possibility would be to enter into an infrastructure project.
>> Any thoughts about that?
>
> AIUI infrastructure is not a coding project but a president's committee
>
> a new coding TLP for infrastructure tools (infra.apache.org, perhaps or
> audit.apache.org, depending on scope) would make more sense

I didn't quite catch it all (choppy Skype connection), but apparently
there is/could be an infrastructure project. Gavin was also present in
the call I think, Gavin did you catch the part of the discussion about
an infra project?

Ross

Re: Final destination of RAT

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I attended the board meeting today as a guest. One of the issues
> discussed was where should RAT graduate to.
>
> The general consensus of the board is that this is not a board
> concern, but that they have no objection, in principle, for it to be a
> top level project. So, my question as mentor is does the RAT project
> have any concerns about being a TLP?

IMHO though RAT would be viable as a sub-project, the development
community is too small for a TLP

> Another possibility would be to enter into an infrastructure project.
> Any thoughts about that?

AIUI infrastructure is not a coding project but a president's committee

a new coding TLP for infrastructure tools (infra.apache.org, perhaps or
audit.apache.org, depending on scope) would make more sense

> Note, the discussion was general in nature and was a response to the
> comment in the board report "The biggest problem that needs to be
> resolved before graduation is final
> destination."

thought it might have that effect ;-)

- robert