Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/22 08:21:40 UTC

Fwd: Followup to: License for WS-Security Meeting Thursday July 21st @9:00

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jim Markwith (LCA) <ji...@microsoft.com>
Date: Jul 21, 2005 8:33 PM
Subject: Followup to: License for WS-Security Meeting Thursday July 21st @9:00
To: Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>, Sam Ruby
<ru...@apache.org>, dims@apache.org
Cc: "Jenny Winslow (LCA)" <je...@microsoft.com>, "Amy Marasco (LCA)"
<am...@microsoft.com>, "Scott Edwards (LCA)"
<sc...@microsoft.com>, "Valerie See (LCA)"
<vs...@windows.microsoft.com>, "Jim Markwith (LCA)"
<ji...@microsoft.com>

Cliff and Dims,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today.

As a follow-up to our conversation, please be advised that, as of
today, neither Amy nor I know of any issued Microsoft patent claims
necessary for the implementation of WS-Security, as defined in our
sample posted license.  Therefore, we have no reason to believe anyone
would currently need to seek a license from Microsoft in that regard.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or need any
additional information on this.

Best regards,
Jim

Jim Markwith (LCA)
Corporate Attorney
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, Wa 98052-6399

Phone (425) 707-3401
jimmark@microsoft.com

RE: Followup to: License for WS-Security Meeting Thursday July 21st @9:00

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@dpml.net>.

Jut to be clear on this one - declaring a possible IPR claim seems to me to
be different to the maintenance of the option to a potential future IRP
claim. If I understand correctly the failure to claim does not in and of
itself eliminate the right to claim a right (after the event) with respect
to the above mentioned specifications.  Is that correct?

> There is a new WS-Security 1.1 in the works. It is not final yet.
> there are some interops going on now (no we are not participating in
> it). So before it gets final approval from OASIS, the IPR statements
> may get updated.

And IMO the context and justification for raising these issues *now* as
opposed to later.

> Right now there were two outcomes with the meeting yesterday:
> - Yes, we have patents and these are the #'s.
> - No, we don't. you don't need a license.
>
> Am really glad that we heard the latter.

Yes .. if there is a legally binding significance to the assertion.  If no
binding assertion is presented - are we looking at implicit retraction of
rights? In these scenarios my experience is to the contrary - in effect a
statement of IPR interest is not an engagement and more importantly a
non-statement is not a liability.

> Part of the discussion was
> about how to work with MSFT on the license terms so it is better in
> the future and we got them feedback and made sure that they understand
> problems with their license. They promised to think about it.

Which is good in principal but dangerous in substance .. (if you know what I
mean).  We are talking with the presumption that and the name of the game is
a reasonable loophole.  Requests for assertion of rights are distinctly
different from a binding assertion of the retraction of a right by a legal
entity as a part or result of participation to a standardization process.

IMO - the opinions of parties on all sides are relevant and important to the
ongoing process but it's the binding engagements by legal entities that are
relevant to decisions that one takes.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Am really glad that we heard the latter. Part of the discussion was

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@dpml.net>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Steve,

This is the way it works...the original IPR statement from
MSFT/IBM/Verisign to the OASIS WSS TC was in 2002. This IPR statement
was for the submission of the original spec to the OASIS TC. Any
company has 1 year to submit patent applications from the day of the
first publication (in this case the public submission to the TC). This
statement confirms our suspicion that there are no patents involved
for which license is required for the OASIS WSS
core/usernametoken/x509 profile specs (there are others which are
probably encumbered say SAML and we don't implement SAML in Apache)
for the versions that we have implemented in Apache.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Roy. Your kudos mean a lot to me.

-- dims

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@dpml.net>.