Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/12 08:19:08 UTC

How to release if using testng

Hi,

how do other people release their maven project if they use TestNG? The only
surefire that works ok with TestNG is 2.4-collab-SNAPSHOT, but since it is a
snapshot, I cannot release. I could try to give the snapshot jars a real
release number, but I'd rather not do that because a) it feels like cheating
and b) it is a lot of work with all the different modules that surefire has.

regards,

Wim

--
Vigilog - an open source log file viewer: http://vigilog.sourceforge.net
Blog: http://www.jroller.com/page/Fester

Re: How to release if using testng

Posted by Victor Cardona <v....@sbcglobal.net>.
Michael McCallum wrote:
> i'm using surefire 2.3 and testng without any problems... well occasionally i
> get a null pointer instead of an error report... but other than that
> releasing no problems
> On Saturday 13 October 2007 15:48, Victor Cardona wrote:
>> Wim Deblauwe wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> how do other people release their maven project if they use TestNG? The
>>> only surefire that works ok with TestNG is 2.4-collab-SNAPSHOT, but since
>>> it is a snapshot, I cannot release. I could try to give the snapshot jars
>>> a real release number, but I'd rather not do that because a) it feels
>>> like cheating and b) it is a lot of work with all the different modules
>>> that surefire has.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> Wim
>> I finally gave up on using the surefire plugin with TestNG.  Now I just
>> use antrun to run the testng ant task and generate a report.

I tried using surefire-2.3, 2.4-SNAPSHOT, and 2.4-collab-SNAPSHOT with
both TestNG 5.5 and 5.6.  The collab snapshot resolved the problems with
TestNG encountered during the test phase, but then I received an error
from the surefire-report plugin.  I'm sorry I don't remember what the
error was, but I think it may have been a NPE.

Re: How to release if using testng

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
i'm using surefire 2.3 and testng without any problems... well occasionally i
get a null pointer instead of an error report... but other than that
releasing no problems
On Saturday 13 October 2007 15:48, Victor Cardona wrote:
> Wim Deblauwe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > how do other people release their maven project if they use TestNG? The
> > only surefire that works ok with TestNG is 2.4-collab-SNAPSHOT, but since
> > it is a snapshot, I cannot release. I could try to give the snapshot jars
> > a real release number, but I'd rather not do that because a) it feels
> > like cheating and b) it is a lot of work with all the different modules
> > that surefire has.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Wim
>
> I finally gave up on using the surefire plugin with TestNG.  Now I just
> use antrun to run the testng ant task and generate a report.

Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer
mailto:gholam@apache.org

Re: How to release if using testng

Posted by Patrick Moore <pa...@amplafi.com>.
You know if you try really real hard you can get past the 'snapshot' aspect
of 2.4-collab.... That is the version we use... but it is also the version
tapestry.apache.org uses to release the tapestry project as well.

Don't know why the main 2.4-SNAPSHOT can't get fixed to use the latest
version of testng....

Posted by Victor Cardona <v....@sbcglobal.net>.
Wim Deblauwe wrote:
> I finally gave up on using the surefire plugin with TestNG.  Now I just
>> use antrun to run the testng ant task and generate a report.
>>

> I did not know that was possible. How do you remove surefire from the
> lifecycle?
>
> regards,
>
> Wim

You can't actually remove surefire from the lifecycle.  At least not as
far as I've been able to determine with my limited knowledge of Maven.
You can however tell it to skip running any tests by adding the
following to your pom.xml:

<build>
    <plugin>
        <version>2.3</version>
        <configuration>
            <skip>true</skip>
        </configuration>
    </plugin>
</build>

If you still want to run unit tests, then you run the testng ant task
via the Antrun plugin.  If you're curious, I can post mine.

Re: How to release if using testng

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Victor Cardona <v....@sbcglobal.net>.