Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "James A. Hillyerd" <ja...@activerain.com> on 2004/03/02 03:58:45 UTC

Launching BeanShell/Groovy from Maven?

I'm looking for a way to launch BeanShell (or Groovy, either one will
work for me) from Maven.  My goal is to have an interactive scripting
shell with a classpath containing all of my project's dependencies, and
"target/classes" itself.

I'm new to Maven, it's not something I can figure out how to do myself.
I've searched the web for an example but there was a lot of noise in the
results since Groovy uses Maven to build, and Maven supports(?) writing
plugins in BeanShell.

Has anyone done this?  It seems like it would make a really useful maven
plugin, since it would let you test ideas without writing experimental
classes and launch scripts, etc.

Thanks!

-james

--
James A. Hillyerd <ja...@activerain.com>
http://www.activerain.com/

Re: Launching BeanShell/Groovy from Maven?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
On 2 Mar 2004, at 08:34, James A. Hillyerd wrote:
> Okay, so I guess I was too impatient to wait for an answer to my
> question! After a bunch more research and some trial and error, I came
> up with the following maven.xml:
>
> <project default="java:compile" xmlns:j="jelly:core"
>   xmlns:u="jelly:util" xmlns:ant="jelly:ant">
>
>   <goal name="bsh">
>     <attainGoal name="java:jar-resources"/>
>     <attainGoal name="java:compile"/>
>     <ant:java classname="bsh.Console" fork="true">
>       <ant:classpath>
>         <ant:path refid="maven.dependency.classpath"/>
>         <ant:pathelement path="${maven.build.dest}"/>
>       </ant:classpath>
>     </ant:java>
>   </goal>
>
> </project>
>
> Which appears to do what I want.  (You can change "bsh.Console" above
> to "bsh.Interpreter" if you don't want a windowed interface)

FWIW if you want a groovy interactive shell then just change the
classname in the above to groovy.ui.InteractiveShell

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Launching BeanShell/Groovy from Maven?

Posted by "James A. Hillyerd" <ja...@whynotown.com>.
Okay, so I guess I was too impatient to wait for an answer to my
question! After a bunch more research and some trial and error, I came
up with the following maven.xml:

<project default="java:compile" xmlns:j="jelly:core"
   xmlns:u="jelly:util" xmlns:ant="jelly:ant">

   <goal name="bsh">
     <attainGoal name="java:jar-resources"/>
     <attainGoal name="java:compile"/>
     <ant:java classname="bsh.Console" fork="true">
       <ant:classpath>
         <ant:path refid="maven.dependency.classpath"/>
         <ant:pathelement path="${maven.build.dest}"/>
       </ant:classpath>
     </ant:java>
   </goal>

</project>

Which appears to do what I want.  (You can change "bsh.Console" above to
"bsh.Interpreter" if you don't want a windowed interface)

Hopefully some of you will find it useful.

-james