Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Mork, Phil" <PM...@travelersexpress.com> on 2000/12/08 16:29:11 UTC

What's the best way to specify a tool independent SOAP Interface?

I'm wondering what the best way is to produce a tool independent SOAP
interface using Apache SOAP.  In other words, say that you have an existing
application that you want to move from a proprietary XML definition to SOAP
and you want to produce a SOAP XML Specification of  what the messages need
to conform to.  It looks like Apache SOAP hides the definition and
production of the SOAP Schema definition by using the
DeploymentDescriptor.xml, but  does it produce an XML Schema as a by-product
that can be captured?

Another way to ask it is, what the best/easiest way to specify a SOAP
service that is deployed using Apache SOAP for a client who will be using
Microsoft SOAP toolkit, or some other toolkit?

Is specifying the interface via WSDL a better way to make it accessable to
all platforms?

Thanks.

Phil

Re: What's the best way to specify a tool independent SOAP Interface?

Posted by James Yegerlehner <ja...@kamiak.com>.
Phil-

> Is specifying the interface via WSDL a better way to make it accessable to
> all platforms?

IMO this is exactly right. That's why we are working a WSDL + schema
editor. Just as one first defines the interfaces in distributed CORBA or
DCOM systems by authoring the IDL or type libraries, I think you define the
interfaces in a heterogenous distributed SOAP system with WSDL and schemata.
Then you proceed to build the pieces in any combination of Java or .NET or
whatever.

Regards,
James Yegerlehner

Re: What's the best way to specify a tool independent SOAP Interface?

Posted by James Yegerlehner <ja...@kamiak.com>.
Phil-