Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by adfel70 <ad...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/28 19:04:56 UTC

Question about SOLR-5017 - Allow sharding based on the value of a field

Hi
I'm looking into allowing query joins in solr cloud.
This has the limitation of having to index all the documents that are
joineable together to the same shard.
I'm wondering if  SOLR-5017
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5017>   would give me the
ability to do so without implementing my own routing mechanism?

If I add a field named "parent_id" and give that field the same value in all
the documents that I want to join, it seems, theoretically, that it will be
enough.

Am I correct?

Thanks.

Re: Question about SOLR-5017 - Allow sharding based on the value of a field

Posted by Greg Preston <gp...@marinsoftware.com>.
I don't know about SOLR-5017, but why don't you want to use parent_id
as a shard key?

So if you've got a doc with a key of "abc123" and a  parent_id of 456,
just use a key of "456!abc123" and all docs with the same parent_id
will go to the same shard.
We're doing something similar and limiting queries to the single shard
that hosts the relevant docs by setting shard.keys=456! on queries.

-Greg