Posted to adffaces-dev@incubator.apache.org by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> on 2007/04/07 15:06:19 UTC

Re: Next steps? (was Re: Is trinidad ready for graduation ?)

+1..

Thing to decide now is TLP or as subproject of MyFaces.

Main thing is focus to decide on what to do :

- People on MyFaces equally care about and work on Trinidad
- People on Trinidad equally care about MyFaces

MyFaces == the code base, not the TLP project. People working on Trinidad wouldn't necessarily be
interested in working on the MyFaces code base.

Giving oversight in an umbrella project will get harder and harder over time, which in the end does
end up in a fragmented PMC. Which means that people on the PMC just have focus on eg MyFaces,
tomahawk, Tobago or Trinidad. If you are a on the PMC you should care about all of these subprojects.

In short : I favor TLP.

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi Martin,

> component sets, I am  focussing on the possible lack of overlap in community of the JSF
> implementation and the component sets. Different goals, different users and different developers
> (although the last is not yet the case, it is most likely someone interested in components is not
> interested in coding on the JSF implementation).

that is already the case, I think w/in MyFaces. Some are more
interested in the IMPL; some are more in the components. Most of the
devs are interested in both.

From my perspective, I can say that my interest is the JSF impl and
Trinidad. I am also very interested in getting the MyFaces commons and
Tomahawk2 stuff done. I am not that much interested in Tobago.

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

jira issue 448 review

Posted by Jeanne Waldman <je...@oracle.com>.
      http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ADFFACES-448

      portal+skinning: suppress stylesheet if requested skin-id+skin's
      stylesheetid are found

Hi there,
I added a new JIRA issue and I uploaded a patch in case someone wants to
comment before I check it in; it involves some new public methods.
Here's what it has:
1. a new Skin API that I sent an email about last week: *public String
getStyleSheetDocumentId(RenderingContext arc)*
2. a new public method in
trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.CoreRenderingContext:   *public Skin
getRequestMapSkin()*
3. my RequestMap names -- are these in a standard format?
*oracle.apache.myfaces.trinidad.skin.suppressStylesheet
oracle.apache.myfaces.trinidad.skin.id
oracle.apache.myfaces.trinidad.skin.stylesheet.id *

Thanks,
Jeanne

Re: Next steps? (was Re: Is trinidad ready for graduation ?)

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

> And a "jakarta-style" JSF components project.
>
> Let's assume we start the "myfaces commons" stuff in the near future,
> this "JSF components TLP" could have the following subprojects:
> -Tomahawk
> -Tobago
> -Trinidad
> -commons (non-renderkit-goodies)
>
> Martin, you are the man that know best about Jakarta, what are your
> thoughts on that?

I won't bore you with the details that don't matter in this discussion and I won't state here that I
know best, just because I am VP of Jakarta.
First of all :
- Jakarta is very big with about 109 projects and almost everyone at the ASF is committer, yes even
you Matthias.
- Jakarta has big PMC. In our scenario committers are not automatically on the PMC (there are
projects doing that).

Besides the benefits of being on the PMC (legal protection, binding votes on release, etc) you also
have the obligation to give oversight to the project you are on the PMC for. Let's sketch a MyFaces
scenario, with me as a potential committer.

- I send a lot of patches for Trinidad
- You get sick and tired of me and start a committer vote, so I can start applying patches myself.
- I am a committer on the MyFaces TLP now. Even though I don't care about the JSF impl, I am
committer there (ignoring svn karma rules that may have been set up)
- If I end up on the PMC I am only interested in representing Trinidad (in fact I am just a Trinidad
committer), so in fact I am not representing and giving oversight to the complete MyFaces TLP project.
- The disconnect has happened between oversight and what is happening in the project.
- Multiply above by many times and also don't assume people end up on the PMC and add a highly
moving community to the mix (which means, important people become inactive and some new blood enters.
- If a lot of "old timers" become inactive without looking for replacements and keeping the PMC in a
good size, projects are going to have a hard time, new people don't have a possibility to make new
releases (not enough votes) or don't know how to properly create releases, etc ,etc

Not saying this is going to happen to MyFaces, just a scenario that is at Jakarta and also happens
at smaller projects.
So any symptoms of that are going to emerge at MyFaces, my advice is to fix the situation with going
TLP for that subproject or making the PMC healthy again.

Another problem with "umbrella" projects is that the board is not aware of any problems, dead code,
etc, unless the chair or community writes that in the board report. So in fact you are
(unintentionally) hiding possible problems. Hence the huge size of most Jakarta board reports to
prevent hiding.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Next steps? (was Re: Is trinidad ready for graduation ?)

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/11/07, Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I don't think a TLP would be a good idea just yet since JSF is
> still relatively new compared to some older well known frameworks. I think
> it's easier for new users to find all they need from one entry point and
> MyFaces seems the right place for that, at least for now.
>
> Also, being a subproject will probably improve the users' confidence in
> library compatibility as well as encourage that compatibility to be
> kept/improved by developers.

sounds like you also prefer the subproject.

> It may just be a feeling, but it seems to me that making Trinidad TLP right
> away would make it look a bit like a loner, especially since Tobago and
> Tomahawk are MyFaces sub projects. If JSF component sets should be TLP(s),
> then I think it should be done all at the same time, and this cannot be
> achieved until we harmonize Tomahawk, Trinidad and Tobago imho.

MyFaces is the TLP currently for almost all JSF stuff. it has three subprojects:
-jsf impl
-tomahawk
-tobago

(I'd consider the impl as a subproject as well)

Shale (a jsf framework) is it's own TLP
I'd not say, that Shale is a loner! There is also JSF-stuff in portals
and even in cocoon.

Perhaps the best for now is, going as a subproject of Apache MyFaces
and start a discussion on the "future" of MyFaces. I can see the value
of a Apache MyFaces project, that cares about JSF IMPL only.

And a "jakarta-style" JSF components project.

Let's assume we start the "myfaces commons" stuff in the near future,
this "JSF components TLP" could have the following subprojects:
-Tomahawk
-Tobago
-Trinidad
-commons (non-renderkit-goodies)

Martin, you are the man that know best about Jakarta, what are your
thoughts on that?

For now, I think it's worth to graduate to be a Apache MyFaces subproject.

-Matthias

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
The dependency will be also the same, if we (MyFaces) go the proposed
route w/ Trinidad as the base for Tomahawk².

-Matthias

On 4/11/07, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As long as the community is somewhat similar (at least there are
> people in both communities), I'm +1 for taking it in under MyFaces. My
> only problem with the subproject approach is that when RCF comes out,
> we'll have two sub projects where one sub project depends on the other
> - kind of awkward.
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 4/11/07, Jeanne Waldman <je...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > Simon,
> > I like your arguments and after reading this thread, I like the idea
> > of a subproject better than a TLP too. I wanted to comment so
> > ya'll will know there are more people reading the thread and
> > forming an opinion than have been commenting thus far. :)
> > - Jeanne
> >
> > Simon Lessard wrote:
> > > Personally I don't think a TLP would be a good idea just yet since JSF is
> > > still relatively new compared to some older well known frameworks. I
> > > think
> > > it's easier for new users to find all they need from one entry point and
> > > MyFaces seems the right place for that, at least for now.
> > >
> > > Also, being a subproject will probably improve the users' confidence in
> > > library compatibility as well as encourage that compatibility to be
> > > kept/improved by developers.
> > >
> > > It may just be a feeling, but it seems to me that making Trinidad TLP
> > > right
> > > away would make it look a bit like a loner, especially since Tobago and
> > > Tomahawk are MyFaces sub projects. If JSF component sets should be
> > > TLP(s),
> > > then I think it should be done all at the same time, and this cannot be
> > > achieved until we harmonize Tomahawk, Trinidad and Tobago imho.
> > >

> > > My 2¢,
> > >
> > > ~ Simon

> --
>
> http://www.irian.at
>
> Your JSF powerhouse -
> JSF Consulting, Development and
> Courses in English and German

Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > TLP(s),
> > then I think it should be done all at the same time, and this cannot be
> > achieved until we harmonize Tomahawk, Trinidad and Tobago imho.
> >

> > My 2¢,
> >
> > ~ Simon
> >
> > On 4/11/07, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> That was also a point of Noel, when proposing the RCF donation thing.
> >> He was asking, why not having a "JSF components" project.
> >>
> >> Perhaps that might be an interesting option, not sure yet; but when
> >> RCF arrives somewhen.. there would be another component set.
> >>
> >> Perhaps we should move the discussion for a "split" to the MyFaces DEV
> >> list, that the MyFaces PMC is also able to comment.
> >>
> >> The components project could have a similar fashion like Jakarta.
> >>
> >> But since this isn't yet the case, I'd agree that a subproject is the

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Next steps? (was Re: Is trinidad ready for graduation ?)

Posted by Jeanne Waldman <je...@oracle.com>.
Simon,

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Ok, I'll start the vote for TLP vs. subproject here later today.

And yes, there are more PPMC members.

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Not sure how this effects the discussion about the next steps,
regarding the graduation.

Please use a new thread for new topics.

Thanks,
Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Martin v.d.B.,

I spent a bit of time answering your various points.   I've answered
them below, but I think that's hiding the real question.

"What does Trinidad want to be when it grows up?"

Where does the Trinidad community see future development going?   Is
the plan to simply finish debugging what's out there?  Is the idea to
add more components?  Is the goal to become the "best" general purpose
JSF component set?  Or is there a more narrow focus on what it means
to be "Trinidad"?

I think either possiblity is good.   Tobago shows that a
narrow-focused JSF component set can be useful and successful.   TLP
makes good sense for a narrow-focused JSF component set.

On the other hand, if Trinidad wants to be a (Dare I say "The"?)
general purpose component set, then MyFaces community acceptance is
probably a good target to hit.   That's going to happen better as part
of the MyFaces community rather than as an independent TLP.  The
ad-hoc approach taken thus far for Tomahawk leaves something to be
desired in my opinion, so there's an opportunity available.

I think the "Next Step" should be taken by considering "where do you
want to go today."  (Yes, I've got a warped sense of humor.   It's
late and I spent the day with the inlaws.)

On 4/7/07, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
> Just a disclaimer : this is not an attack on you personally or a statement the the MyFaces Project
> is broken, just like to prevent that it becomes broken :)
>
> Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> > I'm in favor of MyFaces for Trinidad.   I would like to see Trinidad
> > as the basis for Tomahawk JSF 1.2.
>
> So in this sense you are saying that we just incubated Tomahawk for JSF 1.2 ?

What I said was that the developers of Tomahawk have expressed an
interest in using Trinidad technology for Tomahawk for JSF 1.2.
Tomahawk is a loose collection of generic components with very little
tying the various components together.  Some components are strong,
and others are weak.   Each was authored without much thought to how
it fits in with the others, or how to provide for common
functionality.  That was not the case with Trinidad.

Trinidad provides infrastructure for building components that Tomahawk
does not.    Just as the proposed RCF project uses Trinidad, Tomahawk
could be made to use Trinidad.

It could very well be that the best solution for Tomahawk for JSF 1.2
is to start with Trinidad and integrate into it those worthwhile
pieces of Tomahawk for JSF 1.1.   That's one way Tomahawk 2
developement could go, but it's certainly not the only way.  It's a
way that I personally favor, but I am only one of the MyFaces PMC
members.

> When Trinidad becomes TLP it is for them to decide if they want that to happen (based on your
> proposal), if they go to the MyFaces TLP, it is not just their call.

Yes....   That's why one is an autonomous TLP and one is a
not-so-autonomous subproject.   Yet ASF still has subprojects coming
in from incubation, so autonomy must not be the only consideration
used.

When Trinidad applied for incubation, they sought out and received
sponsorship by MyFaces.   At least at the time of entry into
incubation, the Trinidad community felt there were advantages to being
part of the MyFaces community.  There's benefit to being part of a
wider community, especially when you're a small project.   Trinidad
has a lot to offer.   Only three of the Trinidad committers are not
already actively involved in MyFaces Tomahawk, so there's not only
functional overlap, but community overlap.

> Which in the end (you gave an example of that) will end up in not a decision being made at all.

That's pretty cynical.   I gave an example of an incompatible
technology being made into a subproject and little attempt being made
on either side to try to resolve the incompatiblities.   Tobago isn't
only incompatible with Tomahawk.  It's incompatible with every JSF
component set, including Trinidad.

Trinidad isn't fundementally incompatible with Tomahawk -- if there
are areas where the two don't work well together,  there's no reason
to think that these cannot be resolved..   Furthermore, developers on
both projects have expressed strong interest in resolving any problem
areas.

I think what the Tobago example does show is that, if anything,
MyFaces is possibly too willing to let subprojects govern themselves
if the subproject has no interest in integrating with the "mainstream"
MyFaces community.   Your message implies (to me) that you think
Trinidad may be losing the ability to have meaningful management of
the code they are working on if they join MyFaces -- I don't see that
being the case.

I hope no one sees this as some kind of power trip where MyFaces or me
personally is trying to "assimulate" Trinidad into the Myfaces
"Collective."   I've made it a point to not "pile on" into the JSF
incubating project initial committer lists.   I've tried to help out
here and there, but I'm not actually using Trinidad yet myself (my
primary client will not be converting to Java 1.5 for another couple
of months which somewhat limits my practical involvement up to this
point  :-)   When I suggest that Trinidad will benefit by being part
of the greater MyFaces community, that's really what I mean :-)  I
think the converse is also true.

> If you think the Tomahawk developers / community have more in common than with the MyFaces
> developers, you should probably join Trinidad ;). Not the other way around..

Well, up to this point, MyFaces Core & MyFaces Trinidad community has
been primarily one-and-the-same.   That said, there's certainly an
argument that can be made that MyFaces should consider splitting into
an implementation project and a component set project(s).   A lot of
effort has been put into making the two independent of each other.

If it's a matter of one project merging into the other, however, I
think it probably makes more sense for Trinidad to join MyFaces and
not MyFaces to join Trinidad :-)

> > However, if there is no interest in merging Tomahawk and Trinidad,
> > then going with a TLP would be better.
>
> Even if there is interest, a TLP would not prevent a merge of the two, unless Trinidad doesn't want
> to or the MyFaces PMC doesn't want to. If all Tomahawk developers would like to merge with Trinidad
> and Trinidad wants to and the MyFaces PMC doesn't, there are other issues :)

Well, we're not schizophrenic at MyFaces yet, so we're still "other
issue" free :-)   It's true that a TLP won't make any technical
difference.    However, trying to join two communities is harder than
splitting an existing community.

[Tobago status discussion dropped -- not really revelent or solvable here]

Re: Next steps? (was Re: Is trinidad ready for graduation ?)

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> Even if there is interest, a TLP would not prevent a merge of the two, unless Trinidad doesn't want
> to or the MyFaces PMC doesn't want to. If all Tomahawk developers would like to merge with Trinidad
> and Trinidad wants to and the MyFaces PMC doesn't, there are other issues :)

We started to discuss to use Trinidad's API and framework bits as the
base for Tomahawk 2. That doesn't mean that we merge the two sets of
components. I guess the result would be also a "clean-up" in Tomahawk2
(the version for JSF 1.2)

Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh

further stuff:

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> I'm in favor of MyFaces for Trinidad.   I would like to see Trinidad
> as the basis for Tomahawk JSF 1.2.

So in this sense you are saying that we just incubated Tomahawk for JSF 1.2 ?

When Trinidad becomes TLP it is for them to decide if they want that to happen (based on your
proposal), if they go to the MyFaces TLP, it is not just their call.
Which in the end (you gave an example of that) will end up in not a decision being made at all.

If you think the Tomahawk developers / community have more in common than with the MyFaces
developers, you should probably join Trinidad ;). Not the other way around..

> However, if there is no interest in merging Tomahawk and Trinidad,
> then going with a TLP would be better.

Even if there is interest, a TLP would not prevent a merge of the two, unless Trinidad doesn't want
to or the MyFaces PMC doesn't want to. If all Tomahawk developers would like to merge with Trinidad
and Trinidad wants to and the MyFaces PMC doesn't, there are other issues :)

> Right now, Tobago is in the state you described below -- You're either
> using Tobago (and no other component set), or you're using Tomahawk
> and other component sets.   It's next to impossible to have oversight
> over both projects since Tobago is mutually-exclusive of other
> component sets.   At one point, the Tobago people were interested in
> making Tobago more compatible with Tomahawk and other component sets,
> but discussion on how that would happen ever materialized beyond my
> initial questions.

This is something that needs to be solved at MyFaces. If you wait too long, it cannot be fixed
anymore (eg no one left to care about Tobago).

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Next steps? (was Re: Is trinidad ready for graduation ?)

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

> FWIW, I think Trinidad is more compatible with Tomahawk
> then Tobago is...  they don't work perfectly together, but I'd
> very much like to see the incompatibilities resolved.

there was also an idea of a myfaces "commons" lib, which contains
non-renderkit features like validators and converters or the
selectItems component. This lib should also take the benefits of
Trinidad, like the plugins, to generate stuff like the tags and
facelets support.

> Whether we should merge the components - I don't know.  But
> I do think we could get some code sharing and common
> framework work applied.  (State saving, skinning, and
> client-side validation come to mind).

yes, using the framework bits, instead of a *merge*.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.